Author Topic: Correct fuel line ?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Correct fuel line ?
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:21:53 PM »
The car; delivered in San Diego May 29, 1965, 289, 4 speed GT.   OE C5ZF-C 4 bbl carb and a non-canister fuel pump.  Carb is threaded for a screw in  fuel filter.  Getting a filter, after market, should not be a problem, but, is the fuel line end of the filter 5/16" ? What type are you guys using for a street/driven car ?
The steel fuel line should be 5/16" I D ?  Should have a flare and nut on the pump end ? Rubber hose connector between fuel line and fuel filter at the carb end ?  The filter/carb connection end should be routed in front or behind the Dist. ?  I' am going to order the pre-bent line from whom ever is handiest so suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks,  Brian

5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct fuel line ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
Got to ask two questions

1- How did you determine that the carb was threaded for a filter rather than threaded for the fuel line?

2- What is the date on the fuel pump since your reporting that its a non filter/canister style and you believe it to be original?

As for at least one of the other questions the fuel line passes (normally from what I'm seeing) up the front of the engine (drivers side) then to the drivers side of the dist and behind it to the carb connection on the passenger side of the front bowl. If the car was a 66 then the fuel line passes on the passenger side of the dist to the fuel filter and then carb.

Maybe I'm missing the point completely - are you trying to make a 66 style pump work on your car and your adding a fuel filter at the pump? If so - its likely the easy to just use the 66 fuel line, fuel filter and rubber hose all like the 66 cars ;)

Here is a shot of an A code San Jose car built the same time or just after your car and its routing and attachments

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:48:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »
     Thanks Jeff:  the photo's told me what I needed to know.  After posting the question I realized that the fuel line has a threaded fitting on both ends and no filter.  The fuel pump is not OE, poor sentence structure on my part, but is a original style after market model.  The correct fuel line is in place and runs behind the dist. to the carb from the fuel pump.   Brian
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:50:03 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »
     Thanks Jeff:  the photo's told me what I needed to know............

They often can answer them well :)

Given your situation you might consider a filter between the chassis fuel line as it enters the engine compartment and the fuel pump intake
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)