Author Topic: Protective Wiring Sleeve Behind '66 Kick Panel?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Protective Wiring Sleeve Behind '66 Kick Panel?
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
I recently took the driver’s side kick panel off of my ’66 fastback, and I found a wiring clip as well as a clear plastic sleeve laying in the cavity behind the panel (the area marked with a red arrow).   According to the assembly manual, the black plastic clip that should be there, as it helps route the wiring behind the dash and down through the kick panel; however, there is no mention of any kind of protective plastic strip. 

I thought maybe this clear plastic piece would’ve been installed somewhere behind the kick panel to keep the wires from chafing on the sharp metal edges.  Then again, it could simply be something that got dropped down behind the kick panel over the last 40 years.  I wanted to make sure this wasn’t something that the factory installed before I reinstall the kick panel.

Not sure if it matters, but this is a Dearborn car, built December 8th, 1965.

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Protective Wiring Sleeve Behind '66 Kick Panel?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
The 1966 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0013 pg30, and the 65 manual too) shows a piece of tape, ESB-M3056-A 3.0 X 6.0, on the lower edge of the upper access hole where the cables to the rear lights and the courtesy light switch pass thru. The tape is most likely black with a black adhesive side. "Gaffers" tape is what seems to be the tape of choice although its adhesive side is white. Under the LH door sill you will find a long piece of black tape to protect the cable to the rear similar to what goes in the upper hole. The drawing shows three clips like you pictured, one in each access hole to further keep the cables in place. I don't know what those yellow-tan pieces are.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Protective Wiring Sleeve Behind '66 Kick Panel?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
I have the same exact piece on my 66 convertible. I've tried to show a picture here (not the best) but it goes over the top edge where the wires pass back through to the pillar then down to rocker. In the picture its pretty dirty but cleaned up great.
Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4