Author Topic: Judges Training Display  (Read 3887 times)

Offline ruppstang

Judges Training Display
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:36 AM »
I thought I would share some pictures of a judges training display for the MCA regional directors meeting in Dallas last weekend. Thirty five people took the judges training exercise. I enjoyed the inter action and think we made progress on the education on bare metal finishes. Hopefully next year we will have changes to the MCA rules regarding bare metal finishes in the Concours Trailered class. I will also post the judge sheet so you can play with it. I think it will be tough to judge from pictures. Marty
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:39:27 AM by ruppstang »

Offline Paperback Writer

Re: Judges Training Display
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
Thanks Marty!

Just out of curiosity, how many points will be deducted for bolting the upper ball joint to the upper control arm (as shown in the photos) versus the original riveted method?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:00:48 PM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
Somebody forgot the grease zerk!!

priceless

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
Thanks Marty!

Just out of curiosity, how many points will be deducted for bolting the upper ball joint to the upper control arm (as shown in the photos) versus the original riveted method?
The total points are 10, I'd say no more than 1 point deduction...

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
The reason I built this display was to help others learn. I built in a number of deductions in to this display to make it more educational. I may be taking it to other events to aid in judges training. I am posting the sheet with my deductions and some  answer to the questions. The answer to the question what year is this is 1967 because of the lower control arm has 4 holes and the 67 strut rod is strait and crosses the control arm at a angle.

I deducted 1 point for the bolted upper ball joint.

Jeff Speegle pointed out the white X on the upper control arm was a very unusual mark, used to track some cars. May be 1 in 10,000 cars had this mark.

Judging from pictures is a challenge but I hope you enjoyed it and learned something.

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
I have seen the x on that arm before in the same place.

Offline Dudley

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
I am going to muddle this a little more, on my '68 SJ coupe, the upper control arm has a turquise letter C painted on it. It is partially visible in this picture.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:14:47 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
I have seen the x on that arm before in the same place.

What plant since they (many marks) likely meant different things for different assembly lines. Met a San Jose line worker (same plant as the parts for Marty's display/prop ) that laid claim to the X on the drivers side upper A arm ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
Jeff did he elaborate on the purpose of the mark?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »
Jeff did he elaborate on the purpose of the mark?

Since we see allot of restorers adding the "x's" all over the place we made a point of asking workers if anyone remembered or was responsible for placing an "X" at San Jose. Only one worker said that they remembered and in turn was responsible for an "X" His story was as follows

He was responsible for installing the front shocks on Mustangs and other cars at the San Jose plant and from time to time the line would be stopped for some problem or accident. When that happened a bell would ring and workers would rest or what ever then return to work once the line started up again.  Guess the guy was a joker (kine words) but instead of stopping work he would grab the shocks for maybe the next six or so cars, install them and then place a white "X" where he could see it with ease. Once the line started up he could continue to sit and drink coffee while others returned to work as he waved, made comments to those workers.

Just his story. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
We all know there are other places there was an "X" placed.  ..............

You'll have to be more specific IMHO as to plant and year (story above was specific to San Jose from about 67-70)  The "x's" your referring to are not generally (from my experience) outside of the 69-73 period at Dearborn.  Don 't want people/owners thinking that all these cars had "x's" all over the place - think we have enough examples of people taking this detail over the top ;)..........

Think the record I've seen (on a "restored" car) was over twenty white "x's"

Might want to start a separate thread just discussing this specific marking or similar markings - with time and place as a guiding factor
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
Never seen an X on oil pan yet but have a 68 fe oil pan with white S on front.  I have 69 convertible with X on top frame by hook area.