Author Topic: Paint ok markings on a San Jose car  (Read 1498 times)

Offline cjmustangman

Paint ok markings on a San Jose car
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
On a 68 San Jose car built June 5th would there be paint ok markings on the inner fenders and cowl ?

I've read the thread in regards to NJ cars but no mention of San Jose cars.

Thanks
Arild

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint ok markings on a San Jose car
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Not PAINT OK markings (those ended much sooner (that was only the fill in guy) but instead paint inspector stampings would have been applied by two inspectors typically. One at the line and one at the individual parts paint line.

Normally one guy would stamp the passenger side of the cowl above the firewall pinchweld while the other would stamp the head light buckets, fenders, an hood. Every year at San Jose used 2-3 different  styles of paint inspector marks depending on the time period when they settled into the single name style
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cjmustangman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
Jeff,
would you have any examples
Arild

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »
Jeff,
would you have any examples
Arild

Will email you some examples - but be aware that your not going to be able to walk down to your local stamp store and purchase copies. Fonts are not current ones that stamping companies use ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
My Mustang was an early June '68 SJ build. It just has the name AMBRIS stamped on the driver's fender lip and on the driver's side of the hood underside near the front edge. I am attaching a picture of the fender stamping from mine.  it is just to the left of the rubber bumper, click the image to enlarge for better detail. it is slightly darker than a medium green. Up near the firewall there is only some red ink but it's unintelligible. So I don't know if it is from a stamp or from some other means, but for sure it doesn't look like a name.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:32:11 AM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser