Author Topic: Hood Pin Lanyard Bolts, June Metuchen '69 Mach  (Read 6138 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Hood Pin Lanyard Bolts, June Metuchen '69 Mach
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
I'm trying to sort out the correct location of the screws that retain the hood pin lanyards to the radiator core support.  I have a restored '69 Mach 1 built June 5th, 1969, in Metuchen.  When I got the car, the lanyards were missing, but there were two screws screwed into the outer edges of the core support (these are the yellow areas circled in the picture below).  I assumed that this was where the hood pin lanyards must've bolted when the car was new.  These two screw holes were on the very outer edges of the top of the core support, almost to the point of where it meets up with both front fender aprons.

Since my car was in rough shape and had been wrecked in the front, I replaced the original core support with a Goodmark reproduction.  Out of the box, it too had those same two screw holes punched into the top of the core support, further making me think that this was where the lanyards bolted on a Mach 1.  Aside from the large holes for the factory hood pins, there weren't any other additional holes in top of my original core support, nor was there any evidence of welding or bondo work that would indicate that any holes might've been filled.

As I've looked at more and more '69 Mach 1s, however, I've noticed that almost all of them have the lanyards bolted much closer to the hood pins, as in the picture below.  Which way is correct, and if they're not for the lanyard screws, then what are the two holes in the top of the core support that I have circled in yellow actually for?

Thanks for all of your help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: Hood Pin Lanyard Bolts, June Metuchen '69 Mach
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
On my original dearborn built 69 R code the screw holes are 1 3/8" away from the center of the hole for the hood pin.  I have seen those small punched looking holes on the outside of the core support before. They are not on mine but I have seen them before. Why? I have no idea. So the picture you are posting looks pretty consistent from what I have seen as far as where the lanyards are mounted.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »
Think as you look at "more and more " cars you'll find them mounted in allot of different places - Remember to only compare IMHO original cars built at your same factory. All too often restorers do the same thing your doing (looking at lots of different cars) so they all tend to look the same after a few hundred shows and magazines.

Kind of goes along with what we were finding on the radiator support seal ;) Difference between the plants and practices

Here are a few 69 NJ examples from unrestored cars - appear IMHO to be pretty consistent

As for the other holes - maybe added by a PO?  Often we find plenty of extra holes in unrestored cars. Might want to post a picture of what you have
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »
My radiator support has never been replaced, so it is a great example for a Dearborn car.  Good luck.
MCA#31064

Offline Armond

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:32 AM »
Here is a picture I pulled offline.  (Note Yellow Arrow) I have seen this hole on both sides. They look punched.  I have not seen them all that much, but I have owned a few that did have them.  These might be the holes he is referring too. Purpose? One can only guess. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:21:56 AM by Armond »
MCA#31064

priceless

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
Here's a couple pics from our original radiator support on our 69 mach 1 built, Feb. 24th, 1969 in Metuchen, NJ. Has no holes to the outer edge of the radiator support. Been in our Family 42 years, It's driven quiet a bit, reason for the screen in front of the radiator...Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:20:28 PM by priceless »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Here is a picture I pulled offline.  (Note Yellow Arrow) I have seen this hole on both sides. They look punched.  I have not seen them all that much, but I have owned a few that did have them.  These might be the holes he is referring too. Purpose? One can only guess. 

Our SJ 67 GTA has those oval punched holes as does our SJ 68 HCS. I thought they might be a San Jose plant thing.

priceless

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
SJ thing very possible.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
Here's a couple pics from our original radiator support on our 69 mach 1 built, Feb. 24th, 1969 in Metuchen, NJ. Has no holes to the outer edge of the radiator support. Been in our Family 42 years, It's driven quiet a bit, reason for the screen in front of the radiator...Hope this helps.

Thanks Richie, I was hoping you might chime in.  I never get tired of looking at your car!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Our SJ 67 GTA has those oval punched holes as does our SJ 68 HCS. I thought they might be a San Jose plant thing.

I'll post a picture of the holes on my car as soon as I'm at the shop again.  The ones in your picture are in basically the same place, but mine are much smaller.  Mine are just big enough for the lanyard retaining screws to go into.

priceless

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
Thanks Richie, I was hoping you might chime in.  I never get tired of looking at your car!
Thanks for the compliment, you need anything,pics or such, just holler at me,,,,Rich

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

It first started showing up in 67 (holes were round then transitioned to a tight oval)  later but believe its a stamping plant thing instead. Since different stamping plants supplied in different ratios, different plants the amount of them seen at each plant differs. Do have examples from other plants - depending on year.

Currently out of about 600 69 Dearborn examples - don't have one from there yet. But do have them on San Jose and NJ 69 examples like the one below (as well as the original poster). Interesting that you can find them )the oval) extending in different directions. One though that it had something to do with holding the metal in a jig at one plant but it seems to be a fair small/fine hole for industrial uses

9T02Q2058xx

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:11:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
The first picture is the SJ 67. The second is the SJ 68 HCS. The third shows another 67 Core support difference a oval hole and plug about midway right and left sides. went to round in 68. Marty
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:20:42 PM by ruppstang »