Author Topic: Brake Drums  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Toploader

Brake Drums
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »
Just had a closer look on my drums. The rear drums are straightforward: They are Kelsey-Hayes and beyond (my) reasonable doubt original to the car.

But I guess the front drums must have been replaced with these (showing the right one in the picture). They have no date codes. For the rest of the codes I am missing some information. Can somebody help me out?

- Is BZC the code for Bendix?
   - Would it be normal with KH on the back and Bendix up front? (My car was built in the first week of August 64)
   - What is the number right next to the BZC ("2" on the left and "1" on the right)
   - There is a letter B on both of them. What does it mean?
   - There is also a small barely readable number - 1012 I guess. I suppose it's a casting number or something.

All four drums are worn so they can't be turned. However, I just spoke on the phone with a local company that does thermal spraying. This may be of interest to those of you, who have the original drums but which are worn like mine. The person I spoke with said it would be no problem to put on a layer of 1 mm's (0.04") thickness. I will go there tomorrow with the drums and do a follow up on any result.

Thank you

Jeppe
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Brake Drums
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »
The front look correct to me.  The B coding probably indicates Bendix.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin