Author Topic: Carb Return Spring Bracket Issue  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Angela

Carb Return Spring Bracket Issue
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
Application = 1967 mustang 390 SanJose Automatic Trans

Does anyone have a picture of a known-original holley 4150 throttle return spring bracket, mounted on the carb stud?

I have Mansfield's USA reproduction bracket and I absolutely love his products. However, I cannot find a way to mount this bracket such that it fits as I believe it's supposed to. The specific concerns I have are:
(1) The tab in the bracket which is supposed to contact the carb mounting flange during installation never makes contact with the carb. I find absolutely no way this tab could ever contact my carb mounting flange. I have the correct, factory Holley 4150, (9510-D) for 390 auto w/thermactor.
(2) It's my understanding that the carb mounting nuts should be just *barely* tightened to prevent cracking the mounting flange. The old Pony Carb video states to use a short stubby open-end wrench and tighten the nut with two fingers only.

Offline Angela

Re: Carb Return Spring Bracket Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
I have no idea how I just posted that before finishing. Sorry. Read on....

Application = 1967 mustang 390 SanJose Automatic Trans

Does anyone have a picture of a known-original holley 4150 throttle return spring bracket, mounted on the carb stud?

I have Mansfield's USA reproduction bracket and I absolutely love his products. However, I cannot find a way to mount this bracket such that it fits as I believe it's supposed to. The specific concerns I have are:
(1) The tab in the bracket which is supposed to contact the carb mounting flange during installation never makes contact with the carb. I find absolutely no way this tab could ever contact my carb mounting flange. I have the correct, factory Holley 4150, (9510-D) for 390 auto w/thermactor.
(2) It's my understanding that the carb mounting nuts should be just *barely* tightened to prevent cracking the mounting flange. The old Pony Carb video states to use a short stubby open-end wrench and tighten the nut with two fingers only. If that's correct, there's no way the bracket remains tight enough such that it cannot rotate under tension from the return spring. Please see the attached photo.
(3) The carb mounting flange has a "ramp" feature molded into it (see photo) which prohibits the bracket from resting on the flange and tightened correctly.

What am I doing wrong?