Author Topic: Recommendation for firewall adhesive/sealer ?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
Recommendation for firewall adhesive/sealer ?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
I've searched the forums on "firewall", "adhesive" and read through all the related posts, but nowhere could I find mention of what product to use for the black adhesive/sealer that is applied around heater motor, hoses, plugs, etc to seal them.  Application is 1970 Dearborn, built Oct. '69. I learned that this is supposed to go over the blackout, which is great, but what product is recommended? Please be as specific as possible, no generic "Oh, just use Body Shutz" comments, please.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Recommendation for firewall adhesive/sealer ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
And if you find the correct material, please let me know if the manufacturer recommends what it takes to remove it.  The factory stuff has to be some of the nastiest stuff to remove I've ever run across.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
Will try and remember to look at the cans of produce we used on the last car when I go to the shop tomorrow for you.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cobrajet428

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I saw that you'd applied this to other's cars so thought you might have found a good product.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
...please let me know if the manufacturer recommends what it takes to remove it.  The factory stuff has to be some of the nastiest stuff to remove I've ever run across.

I used a pail of acrylic enamel reducer and fine steel wool. Pretty tough on the hands though!
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Cobrajet428

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
Really could use some help with a recommendation for the firewall adhesive/sealer ... I know Jeff has a lot on his plate. Has anyone else here used something they'd recommend??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
Finally :( looked through my cans - have Duplicolor and Bondo brand (shop has another brand they use on drivers to coat the floor - very fine texture

OF 69 Dearborn I normally see thick, wet application (very different from early cars) so the fact that most rubberized or paintable brands will allow you to build up through multiple coats (allowing for dry time in between)  until you get the thickness and runs you need. Practice first on so cardboard held and the same angle as the panel you will be doing the final spray out on
Jeff Speegle

Offline Cobrajet428

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Finally :( looked through my cans - have Duplicolor and Bondo brand (shop has another brand they use on drivers to coat the floor - very fine texture

OF 69 Dearborn I normally see thick, wet application (very different from early cars) so the fact that most rubberized or paintable brands will allow you to build up through multiple coats (allowing for dry time in between)  until you get the thickness and runs you need. Practice first on so cardboard held and the same angle as the panel you will be doing the final spray out on

Thanks, Jeff. I'll grab a can of one of those and try it out on cardboard. So, again ... original sealer is applied over paint, is black in color, and is sprayed, not brushed ... right?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »
................ So, again ... original sealer is applied over paint, is black in color, and is sprayed, not brushed ... right?

That is correct for the product Ford used to seal the openings and mounting points on the firewall on 69 70's (except for the ground wire strap and attaching screw ;)
Jeff Speegle