Author Topic: Differences between early and late 67 Smog systems  (Read 3589 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Differences between early and late 67 Smog systems
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:31 AM »
I was wondering what were the differences between early and late 1967 Smog (TE) systems for 289 cars? I think the smog tubes were different but were there others?

The reason for my question... I have a late C-code SJ car (July 1967) and have acquired major TE components from an earlier C-code car (Jan 1967) and was hoping that the differences were minimal!

Also were the parts from Falcons, Cougars, etc similar?
Thanks,
Brad.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Differences between early and late 67 Smog systems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
I was wondering what were the differences between early and late 1967 Smog (TE) systems for 289 cars? I think the smog tubes were different but were there others?

Must be  referring to the external/internal change

The reason for my question... I have a late C-code SJ car (July 1967) and have acquired major TE components from an earlier C-code car (Jan 1967) and was hoping that the differences were minimal![/quote]

Minimal - yes. Things like the filter style and top is likely different. Honesty have not looked at the small block details as much as big block. On those adjustment arms, mounts and many other items changed multiple times (not an early or late thing)

Hopefully you got the heater hose adapter/neck from the intake manifold. HARD part to find

Also were the parts from Falcons, Cougars, etc similar?

Similar? Yes since the engines came from the same place (if your staying with the same engine code)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
There is a big difference in early and late 67 smog. Early is similar (if not exact) to the California 66 smog system with the air injector for each cylinder coming off a branching set of tubes into the heads by each spark plug. The later system uses a single port at the number 1 and number 8 cylinder as the air injecting point with a "banjo" type fitting in the head. The head is cast with passages to get the air to each cylinder. The problem we had was finding a copper washer to seat the "banjo". Everything else is about the same, pump, diverter, pulleys, etc. It's documented well in the 67 Mustang Engine Assembly manual.
Jim
The car was a San Jose March 67 build "A" code Fastback.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Forgot that the pulley size can change depending on time period and options (AC, PS or combinations) often
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »
My Dec 66 SJ  built, San Jose DSO 289 is "late" style - internal passages in heads for air distribution.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »
My Dec 66 SJ  built, San Jose DSO 289 is "late" style - internal passages in heads for air distribution.

Ya - not really good IMHO to refer to these in early/late sort of names since they translate in many people head as the first or second half of the production year
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks guys for the help. Trying to piece together what is missing is always a challenge, especially when you don't know what was there to begin with. Howver, considering present company, I suppose this is nothing new to anybody!

The systsem I aquired was only missing the inlet tubes (and the pump valve cap) so I am glad everything is usable.

Is there an easy way to tell by looking at the heads what arrangement was used? My heads have what looks to be hex-nut bolts adjacent to each spark plug, which I could accept to being ports for the TE system. I'll admit to being uneducated when relating to engines, mine has run well for many years and I haven't had the need to delve into it.
Brad.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
Is there an easy way to tell by looking at the heads what arrangement was used? My heads have what looks to be hex-nut bolts adjacent to each spark plug, which I could accept to being ports for the TE system. I'll admit to being uneducated when relating to engines, mine has run well for many years and I haven't had the need to delve into it.
Brad.

Will double check other July cars but believe the heads you have are not correct for that time period
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
Jeff I sent you a pm Lu

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
Hi Jeff,

The left head had the numbers 7A27 WF 289 and the right head has the numbers 7A20 28 WF cast in them.

Brad.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:21 PM »
Hi Jeff,

The left head had the numbers 7A27 WF 289 and the right head has the numbers 7A20 28 WF cast in them.

Brad.

That's a long way out IMHO for a July built car

I'm showing typically the spread from engine and head casting to car finish date as 30-60 day normally. Not to say there wasn't larger spreads but on a drivetrain that was used up quickly (lots of A and C code Fords being built) not allot of reason to story and inventory large heavy pieces for that many months
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the input. So what I have is a 'mystery' engine which is not all that unsurprising considering anything could have happened in the 30+ years before I owned the car. it also explains my difficulty in trying to install a smog system. Given its current state of health it will probably be another 30 years before I get to uncover its other mysteries. As its a very nice cruiser I am not expecting to find any 'treasure' inside and it still remains one of the best 67FB's in AUST.
Thanks,
Brad.