Author Topic: 66 Mustangs with 67 Exterior colors  (Read 495 times)

Offline daniel94

66 Mustangs with 67 Exterior colors
« on: January 09, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
one thing that is a little strange and confusing is the colour code on the owners manual and the sales receipt.
it is marked on both as colour code "D" which I cant find any relation to in my colour sheets.  please don't ask about the door tag as the owner has removed that and every other tag possible and has that stored else where, which I wasn't able to view at the time of insoection.  The car is presently Nightmist Blue colour code "K" and from what I can see it always has and was Nightmist blue (yes it has been repainted in a previous life but everything too me looks like it was genuinely a Nightmist blue car from day 1)

I have read that late in '66 Ford used a couple of '67 colors on the Mustang.  One of these was supposedly Acapulco Blue, which appears to have been Color Code D in 1967.  Is there any chance this was the color instead of Nightmist?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 Mustangs with 67 Exterior colors
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
I have read that late in '66 Ford used a couple of '67 colors on the Mustang.  One of these was supposedly Acapulco Blue, which appears to have been Color Code D in 1967.  Is there any chance this was the color instead of Nightmist?

Those typically have a 7 in the color code, like I7, D7, etc...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Mustangs with 67 Exterior colors
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
+1  Seem that there were a fair number of cars that were ordered that way compared to other years. In fact can't recall (other than special exterior color cars) when this was such a fairly common practice. Don't recall seeing a memo suggesting to the dealer that this was a possible way to lift late production year sales much like the Spring Specials Ford did most years.  Maybe it's just we haven't found the memo yet :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)