Author Topic: Bumper guards with front spoiler?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Tatou

Bumper guards with front spoiler?
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Mach 1s originally equiped with the front bumper guards come with the front and rear spoilers?
Thanks from France.

Matthew

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Bumper guards with front spoiler?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »
Guess your asking about 70's since 69's didn't get front spoilers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Tatou

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Thanks for answer. I mean for a 69 Mach 1. I saw many of them with the front bumper guards and the front spoiler (see the picture). Is that correct? Or only the optionals bumper guards?

What about the rear spoiler?

Thanks.  :)

Matthew

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:22:49 AM »
For 69, only the Boss models got a chin spoiler. 429 was also shallower than 302.
Dealer or customer add on for other models.
The spoiler seals tight along the valence, so I wouldn't want bumper guards pinched in there, but that's just me.
The rear spoiler was a Boss 302 option, I'd have to look thru my Boss 429 book to comment re the rear spoiler.
The 69 rear spoiler was warp prone lightweight plastic and mounted thru the trunk lid using bolts.
Again, dealer or customer add on for other models.
For 69, I recommend the quality 70 fiberglass rear spoiler with studs that pass thru the trunk lid and mounting brackets, and secure with nuts.
69 lids can be cut quite easily to accomodate the 70 mounting brackets.
I can post a pic if you like of a 69 lid I have that's been cut to look like a 70 and stands up to side by side comparison.
Sometimes the 70 prop rod is required to keep the trunk lid up with this heavier spoiler.
Depends how good you springs are.
I can post a pic of where all the pieces mount for that too if need be.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:55 AM »
Thanks for answer. I mean for a 69 Mach 1. I saw many of them with the front bumper guards and the front spoiler (see the picture). Is that correct? Or only the optionals bumper guards?

What about the rear spoiler?

Matthew I guess we could start (getting to the end/answer just another direction I think ;) by asking when was your car built and was it before May or June of 69?
Jeff Speegle

Offline mgreene

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
My '70 Boss 302 originally came with optional front bumper guards (and standard front spoiler).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
My '70 Boss 302 originally came with optional front bumper guards (and standard front spoiler).

Are the bumper guards (don't have any pictures) not different in shape and design between 69 & 70?

Might explain some details.

For the 69 and trying to show a car in concours, the question IMHO is when was the car built or delivered and what was the availability of the spoilers. If they were not available to the dealers for installation then you can't claim that they could have been installed. Believe that has been the understanding and explanation
Jeff Speegle

Offline Tatou

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
The car was built on March 1969. It actually has front and rear spoilers (plastic made, thanks 7Lscjracer). I wish it looks like as the first day and will remove spoilers if necessary.