Author Topic: 1969 Mach 1 351W engine ID location  (Read 2776 times)

priceless

1969 Mach 1 351W engine ID location
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
I was at Waldorf,MD. My Mustang was being judged in the concours driven class. The engine tag on our Mach 1 is the original one that came on it in '69.  When I restored our Mach 1, I put the engine tag under the third bolt back on the intake manifold on the drivers side. I can't remember where it was located before the resto. I wasn't counted off the 1 point for it, but, the judges remarks was "not typical location". As a certified judge myself, I wouldn't of made a remark at all. I have judged alot of 69-70 Mustangs myself with several known Gold card judges, and have never ran across this.

Where is the typical location?...thanks for any response.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:02:42 PM by priceless »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Mach 1 351W engine ID location
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Agree that the location where yours is very different then the norm since putting it there are the factory would have required a worker to pull an intake bolt that had been torqued. If it did not get retorqued it might have lead to gasket failure

Instead the expected normal location would have been on the same bolt that held the dip stick tube and the coil to the engine that was added after the engine was painted.

Here is an example from an original late Deaborn built car since all these engines (delivered to the different plants) were built at the same place this detail should be consistent

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:40 AM »
Agree that the location where yours is very different then the norm since putting it there are the factory would have required a worker to pull an intake bolt that had been torqued. If it did not get retorqued it might have lead to gasket failure

Instead the expected normal location would have been on the same bolt that held the dip stick tube and the coil to the engine that was added after the engine was painted.

Here is an example from an original late Deaborn built car since all these engines (delivered to the different plants) were built at the same place this detail should be consistent

+1 . It sounds like to me the judge was respectful giving you the benefit of the doubt as well as very prudent mentioning it . By not saying anything it wouldn't alert you to the possibility of a incorrect placement.Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:21:10 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
Thanks, was just saying. Our Mach 1 is 3 points from the 20 points needed for conservator and I've either judged or judged with a gold card judge alot of 69-70 Mustangs and have never had anything said. Probably won't move it as it may cause trouble with the intake leaking like you were describing.
I would say shame on the people you judged with for not noticing or not mentioning . That is a out of the ordinary location.A concours judge would not be out of line if he or she requested some kind of reasonable proof of the location you have it in. If you are concerned about the points as you expressed you are then don't be upset when a deduction is made if you don't have your back up. I would move it if it were my car. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby