Author Topic: Replacement Top Boot  (Read 907 times)

Offline ninedrvr

Replacement Top Boot
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
A couple of quick questions about reproduction top boots or as Ford called them, dust covers. First off did Ford send these cars out (1969) with loose pads to lay down on each side of the top mechanism prior to putting on the cover?

Second, does anyone have any experience with a specific brand regarding fitment? I have seen some covers on the 69/70 cars where the forward portion of the cover on both sides sticks up. This may be why one company (distinctive) ships the pads separately vs the other (TMI) sews the pads in.

Lastly would be the which white cover matches the white interior the best.

Thanks

1969 Convertible 390 Dearborn 11/1968
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Replacement Top Boot
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
A couple of quick questions about reproduction top boots or as Ford called them, dust covers. First off did Ford send these cars out (1969) with loose pads to lay down on each side of the top mechanism prior to putting on the cover?

Second, does anyone have any experience with a specific brand regarding fitment? I have seen some covers on the 69/70 cars where the forward portion of the cover on both sides sticks up. This may be why one company (distinctive) ships the pads separately vs the other (TMI) sews the pads in.

Lastly would be the which white cover matches the white interior the best.

Thanks

1969 Convertible 390 Dearborn 11/1968
I have seen a number of the pads glued to the covers and others covers with a yellow glue pattern on ones that the pad came loose with age . Original covers will have date codes stamped/stenciled into the back side of the material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »
Haven't seen any original cars with loose pads. Not unusual for owners to insert pads or towels in the top when lowered to try and decrease the chance of permanent folds on the top material or issues with some of the fabric or rear plastic windows (on early cars)

At the same time, as Bob G mentioned there were pads attached to the boot so you might look for evidence of adhesive
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:54:45 PM »
I had the foam pads made & the top boot bags just like originals.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:08:14 AM by specialed »

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
PUI and TMI products are US made whereas Distinctive is now made in Mexico.
I'd say the wait time of 2 months or more depending on the item defeats the lower cost advantage.
The border will be shut down long before then too ;D
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Berns

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 08:48:07 PM »
These pictures are from a top boot from a 1966 San Jose GT (Production late 1965). Left side foam is loose and right side is missing.
66 San Jose CA  GT Convertible
Sauterne Gold with Deluxe Ivy Gold & White Int White Top
289 A Code C4 Tinted Windows (Green), original factory 8-track AM
6R08A1174## Oct 65 Build