Author Topic: 69-70 Special Paint Mirrors (Split from earlier thread)  (Read 3924 times)

Offline specialed

69-70 Special Paint Mirrors (Split from earlier thread)
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »
Jeff what 69 special order paint shelbys since dual racing mirrors are standard not optional? My purple shelby has dual mirrors and i have a photo dated 1973 with second owner standing by car and both mirrors are on it? I am wondering if when they painted the rest of the car at a o smith plant they painted the mirrors then for special paint 69 shelbys. Anybody ever seen a chrome mirror on a 69 special paint shelby?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:37:24 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69-70 Special Paint Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Jeff what 69 special order paint shelbys since dual racing mirrors are standard not optional? My purple shelby has dual mirrors and i have a photo dated 1973 with second owner standing by car and both mirrors are on it? I am wondering if when they painted the rest of the car at a o smith plant they painted the mirrors then for special paint 69 shelbys. Anybody ever seen a chrome mirror on a 69 special paint shelby?
I have seen some of the funky chrome ones on a Mach I that someone was blowing off about 25 years ago claiming they  were original. ;D  ;D  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
Somehow i just KNEW i would be hearing from the turtleman on this topic . The point i am getting at is dual racing mirrors were standard equipment and part of the package on mach 1 and 69 shelby and already figured in on base price.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
Jeff what 69 special order paint Shelby's since dual racing mirrors are standard not optional?

Entirely different animal than a Mustang with special paint. The dual racing mirrors were not optional on Mach I's but Ford could not accommodate them on the special order cars or at least chose not to

My purple Shelby has dual mirrors and i have a photo dated 1973 with second owner standing by car and both mirrors are on it? I am wondering if when they painted the rest of the car at a o smith plant they painted the mirrors then for special paint 69 Shelby's. Anybody ever seen a chrome mirror on a 69 special paint Shelby?

That may have been how they addressed the mirror issue on Shelby's (different than the Mustang examples)  so few special paint 69-70 Shelby's little data to pull information from while there are hundreds of special paint 69 Mustangs

Somehow i just KNEW i would be hearing from the turtleman on this topic . The point i am getting at is dual racing mirrors were standard equipment and part of the package on mach 1 and 69 shelby and already figured in on base price.

Do you have the shipping invoice for one of your examples? If so that might list something we can discuss further. Its interesting that the Marti report does not list anything about the change in mirrors for the special paint cars.

The mirrors were standard and figured into the base price but Ford seemed not to care in the case on Mustangs  Likely left it up the the dealer to smooth things out when the car arrived,

Here is a 69 Mustang Mach I with special paint's window sticker with the notation

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:58:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:14:54 PM »
Just checked some more of my files and I do have one build sheet for a 69 Shelby with special paint and it shows that at least that car didn't get the color coded racing mirrors installed at Ford

In the picture below notice that the special paint Shelby received a different exterior mirror (box C -36) than the Shelby shown in the bottom section that was painted in one of the RPO colors

By comparing other build sheets and their codes its easy to figure out that K= racing mirrors and R = chrome remote  for that year.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:20:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
Jeff wonder about the late 69 shelbys that got new grabber colors as these were only offered late for shelbys only and no paint codes yet would they be considered special paint on the mirrors will have to check grabber color shelby build sheet to early standard paint shelby build sheet on the mirror code. Of course then you have the cars that were painted wrong by mistake (goof-ups like the currant owner is sometimes) to throw into the mix and that gets more confusing on shelbys. We have a 69 b9 that was painted non-boss 429 color silver jade and sent to kk that way. Of course you cant change a b9 over to mach 1 or sportsroof once built a b9. It stayed at kk plant over a year before being sent to CO. ford financed discounted in order to move the car. The real confusing part of it is the door tag paint code is black a regular b9 color and the second invoice shows silver jade.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Jeff wonder about the late 69 shelbys that got new grabber colors as these were only offered late for shelbys only and no paint codes yet would they be considered special paint on the mirrors will have to check grabber color shelby build sheet to early standard paint shelby build sheet on the mirror code. Of course then you have the cars that were painted wrong by mistake (goof-ups like the currant owner is sometimes) to throw into the mix and that gets more confusing on shelbys. We have a 69 b9 that was painted non-boss 429 color silver jade and sent to kk that way. Of course you cant change a b9 over to mach 1 or sportsroof once built a b9. It stayed at kk plant over a year before being sent to CO. ford financed discounted in order to move the car. The real confusing part of it is the door tag paint code is black a regular b9 color and the second invoice shows silver jade.
Don't you have some packing for Scottsdale to do instead of causing trouble on the forum??????  Idle hands are the devils workshop so they say :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
I just couldnt resist the temtation and you started it on earlier post about mirrors and you can call dave ernest who still works at jasper engines and trans as he is manager there and he ordered my old special order paint scj mach 1 and he told me the mirrors were black and i went to local ford dealer where he ordered it and they had a bill in the file about the dual mirrors and paint as this was 29 years ago. The car was yellow then and when i tracked the original owner down he came to look at it that day and he told me he special ordered it fruedian gilt which was a new maverick color as he ordered this car late july 69 when mavericks were made. I repainted it then and painted the dual mirrors black like he  said they were as there was dual mirrors on when he picked it up at ford dealership. I think the car came in with lh chrome mirror and either he or the dealership added the dual mirrors because all mach 1 came with them and was part of the mach 1 package and the ford dealer was shocked when car was delivered without dual mirrors and since the dealer didnt have the new maverick paint they painted them black to match the black on the mach 1 hood i am just guessing as that was long time ago and it is hard to argue with the original owner. What i dont remember is if he wanted the ford dealer to paint them that way or the dealership decided that. The point is if you paid for dual mirrors on the mach 1 package and you didnt get them what did ford do about it?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
I just couldnt resist the temtation and you started it on earlier post about mirrors and you can call dave ernest who still works at jasper engines and trans as he is manager there and he ordered my old special order paint scj mach 1 and he told me the mirrors were black and i went to local ford dealer where he ordered it and they had a bill in the file about the dual mirrors and paint as this was 29 years ago. The car was yellow then and when i tracked the original owner down he came to look at it that day and he told me he special ordered it fruedian gilt which was a new maverick color as he ordered this car late july 69 when mavericks were made. I repainted it then and painted the dual mirrors black like he  said they were as there was dual mirrors on when he picked it up at ford dealership. I think the car came in with lh chrome mirror and either he or the dealership added the dual mirrors because all mach 1 came with them and was part of the mach 1 package and the ford dealer was shocked when car was delivered without dual mirrors and since the dealer didnt have the new maverick paint they painted them black to match the black on the mach 1 hood i am just guessing as that was long time ago and it is hard to argue with the original owner. What i dont remember is if he wanted the ford dealer to paint them that way or the dealership decided that. The point is if you paid for dual mirrors on the mach 1 package and you didnt get them what did ford do about it?
Is this Special Ed or Special Gary????  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »
... ;)................................ The point is if you paid for dual mirrors on the mach 1 package and you didnt get them what did ford do about it?

If you noticed the window sticker above it shows that Ford would put on the chrome remote mirror and change you another $6.53 to boot.  Just what it says.
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »
Jeff just looked at 2 b9 early build sheets and both had k code in mirror box . Then i looked at my purple shelby and a grabber yellow shelby and purple mach 1  build sheets and they all 3 had R in mirror box and these 3 cars are built after april 69.  Are you aware of the lh remote mirror changed in feb to a wider mirror glass and different # but dont know if that had a different code on build sheet will have to watch date of car build to see if code change.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
If you noticed the window sticker above it shows that Ford would put on the chrome remote mirror and change you another $6.53 to boot.  Just what it says.

Repop window sticker in photo.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
Repop window sticker in photo.

Thanks Bob. Wonder if the person reproducing these borrowed the info from another car or from this cars original window sticker. Have you seen a special paint Mach I's original window sticker?

Jeff just looked at 2 b9 early build sheets and both had k code in mirror box . Then i looked at my purple shelby and a grabber yellow shelby and purple mach 1  build sheets and they all 3 had R in mirror box and these 3 cars are built after april 69.  Are you aware of the lh remote mirror changed in feb to a wider mirror glass and different # but dont know if that had a different code on build sheet will have to watch date of car build to see if code change.

Pulled out another binder with 69 Build sheets and looking at only cars built after mid April I found the following

Projected build date ---------------- mirror code-----------------Special paint
21D                                                   K                                          No (Boss)
22D                                                   K                                          No (Boss)
23D                                                   R                                          No
29D                                                   K                                          No
27D                                                   R                                         Yes
15E                                                   K                                          No (Boss)
22E                                                   K                                          No (non Shelby)
29E                                                  blank                                    No (Boss)
03F                                                  blank                                    No (Boss)
06F                                                   K                                          No
06F                                                   K                                          No
09F                                                  blank                                    No (Boss)
10F                                                   K                                          No (Boss)
11F                                                   K                                          No
11F                                                   K                                          No
16F                                                   K                                          No
19F                                                   R                                          No
19F                                                   R                                         Yes
23F                                                   R                                         Yes
26F                                                   R                                          No
26F                                                   R                                          No
29F                                                   R                                         Yes

Buildsheet date code appears to have changed - we've been told this often happened -- it appears around June.

Pre June the difference of mirrors being different than the racing mirrors still holds up IMHO but after the June change it does not appear to be a difference in the mirrors or something else is taking place.

Jeff Speegle