Author Topic: 70 seam sealer  (Read 5445 times)

Offline 70Mach

70 seam sealer
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
New here so my apologies if this has been gone over before.  We're in the process of restoring a '70 Mach 1 built at Metuchen on 11/20/69.  We bought it already torn apart and the body blasted.  Now we're getting ready for seam sealer.  Trying to determine where the sprayed on sealer was applied particularly in the trunk area.  I thought the sprayed on sealer was around the tail light panel on the inside as well as along the trunk floor by wheel housings.  We have a complete 70 fb parts car but it's from Detroit and it does not have the spray on sealer around the tail light panel.  Does anybody have any pictures available?  What are you using for the spray on sealer?  And if anybody has pictures, do you have any showing seam sealer on the floor, seat pans and front end?  I think it was sprayed on in the floor area too, but I'm not for sure on that.  Is that correct?  Thanks! Adam

P.S.  Original Specs per Marti: Dark Ivy Green Metallic, Black Interior, 351C, 4bbl, auto, a/c, pdb, ps, convenience group, tach dash, shaker, white stripe, dual accent stripe, F70x14 white letter tires, 3:00 standard axle, Atlanta ordering district, sold in Montgomery AL, sold 12/21/70   
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 seam sealer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
First - welcome to the site - hope you find it useful and thanks for such a complete first post (contains all the information for us to help you)

May I guess that your car is between 0T05M127000 & 137000?

For products there are sound deadners, spray seam sealer (often concentrated application of the sound deadener material will serve the same purpose) and chalking - each with different uses.

You can use the search features and you will discover a number of threads with members discussing what they have found that works for them - is seems to be a personal choice - but realize that products change and also become unavailable on a regular basis it seems

A couple of threads that might help

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1198.msg6069#msg6069

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3696.msg20086#msg20086

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
It's 134812.  I'll check those out.  We were going to use 3M Ultrapro sprayable seam sealer, but it seems like it will take a lot and it's not cheap.  Thanks! 
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
It's 134812.  I'll check those out.  We were going to use 3M Ultrapro sprayable seam sealer, but it seems like it will take a lot and it's not cheap.  Thanks!

Will look through my pictures and start posting.

As for the product the main issue with most of the current products is that they build up poorly (difficult to get to the 1/8" + original thickness) and texture seems to be removed each time you add another coat rather than one building on another

I used a two part product and applied the initial coat with a brush (with a little hand technique) then over sprayed it. Worked out fine for me - Have not shot the stuff so its not perfect for all applications. You'll find its application in the Library section of the site
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:23:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
What we have done so far with the Ultrapro gives it a nice thickness, nice to see one of the other posts you provided used it too.  Looking forward to photos.  Thanks for all the help!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
Ok - now all of these applications originally were over coated with body color. Some of the samples show where previous owners applied some addition product and or paint later)

- Lets start at the seams between the wheel housings and the floor as well as the four seams that are at each corner of the gas tank opening.  All dark colored spray sealant with body color over

Same picture highlighted to show pattern and travel

- The bumper bracket supports to floor as well as the rear floor seams where sealed the same way

- Sound deadener applied to the quarter panels was applied before the panel was installed and the pattern travels over the wheel well opening connecting the forward and rear application.

Taillight panel had a thin chalk seam sealer applied neatly (well except for the globs ;) along the bottom seam

Yellow arrow - neat chalking from a gun
Green arrow - glob from chalking application
Blue arrow - heavy application of spray sealant at floor seam

Shots of the taillight areas show no sealant except for at the bumper support to floor area mentioned above

Hope this helps. If you need another detail please ask
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Great pictures!  Do you have any for the sides of the car from the front of the door opening to the front inner fenders?  & the floor pans?  And do you have a tip jar?  Thanks again!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
Great pictures!  Do you have any for the sides of the car from the front of the door opening to the front inner fenders? 

Are you referring to the A pillar and upper cowl area?

& the floor pans?

Will check but expect we will find the same as seen at the other plants - will look through the collection

And do you have a tip jar?  Thanks again!

If you feel the urge there is a "donations" button at the top tool bar. It helps keep the doors open

Jeff Speegle

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
Yes from the A pillar down along the top seam of the cowl that would maybe continue through the top of the firewall.  I remember it being something similar to what was in the drip rails and maybe white in color at least until the it got to the bracket for the fender.  Did it end where the top fender bracket is or did it continue all the way around?  What was used?  A flowable sealer?  White/Cream color?

Also in front of the door hinges.  On the Dearborn parts car we have there is a strip of sprayed on sealer down to the rocker.  We haven't taken anything off the parts car to get a better view but from pictures I have seen here it would appear that this strip of sprayed sealer also continues on the top of the rocker to the front until it meets the torque box? 

From viewing other posts from this site it would appear that the deadener/undercoating on the bottom of the floor pans was applied after it was primed? Or after it was primed and painted?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:38:14 PM by 70Mach »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:28:42 AM »
Please don't use a Dearborn car as a guide for restoring your NJ one.

As for the floor pan Mach I sound deadener it was applied after the car was painted and allot of parts installed (unlike the the other sound deadener applications except the front wheelwell)  Items like brake lines, E brake cables, fuel lines were installed and would have overspray or direct contact with the product - producing shadows if done correctly and in a single pass like originally done.

Most of the sealer appears to be black in these areas. since the light colored was used in places like roof rails and designed to lay down and flow out - unlike this stuff. Sprayed or squeezed out of the applicator to give this final look - real thick

Unlike some of the other plants the cowl to firewall pinch weld does not have much sealant - and looks to mostly to be at the leading seam rather than in the valley

The goop or pile at the end appears to assure that no water leaks are produced if the worker burnt through when installing the filler panel at the rear of the inner fender panel

Another shot from another example

Upper fender bracket/mount - apply with a heavy applicator and hand - flowing down to the upper hinge upper and forward edge

Forward and side seam of the cowl and A pillar. Appears that the same worker with the same technique started in the wheelwell, came across, down to the lower side seam and traveled towards the door opening stopping at the A pillar. Had to be careful since if applied in the wrong area the guy installing the splash shield would have to scrap or pry if off

Few Additional examples

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:31:20 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline choppers

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
      I had just gotten finished with seam sealing my 70 Metuchen, I have been studying every forum here and still need a few more spots, But the only problem I have is getting it as ugly as the factory did it! I use my finger, use a solder brush, and it still looks better than the factory slop.