Author Topic: Deck lid molding attach hardware  (Read 875 times)

Offline Angela

Deck lid molding attach hardware
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
I have three questions concerning the hardware required to attach the deck lid molding (fastback) to the deck lid:

(1) Is it best to use 45 year-old NOS attaching hardware or some kind of repro hardware? I have a set of NOS clips, but I am fearful of 45-yr old plastic

(2) If I should be using repro hardware, where are you guys buying it? In other words, what's the best type to use and who sells it?

(3) What's the recommended installation procedure: install clips first, then "snap" the molding into the clips one at a time, OR slide the clips into the molding and then tap the whole unit into the deck lid, one clip at a time? Should some kind of molding adhesive be used to supplement the clips?

Offline Angela

Re: Deck lid molding attach hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
I discovered that the "Corvex" brand repro molding comes with mounting hardware that looks extremely similar to the NOS plastic clips. Is this what folks are using, the repro corvex hardware?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Deck lid molding attach hardware
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem using the NOS ones.  Use the repro as a backup if you need them.

If I remember right, the clips slide into the molding from the ends and you'll just need to align them with the holes in the deck lid.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin