Author Topic: 66 ignition tumbler, Help  (Read 1144 times)

Offline aaatp

66 ignition tumbler, Help
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
 :( I put the ignition tumbler in the ignition switch using the instructions from the shop manual. The tumbler will now not turn past
OFF to ACC without depressing the pin in the tumbler and the key will not come out of the tumbler in any position. I have played
with this thing till I am blue in the face and cannot get the tumbler back out or the key out. I cannot figure out where I screwed-up.
It all worked fine before I put the switch in the dash. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys.

John

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
Re: 66 ignition tumbler, Help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
Sounds like the black plastic switch that can be seen looking into the housing with the barrel removed is out of sync.

Try this (barrel in hand) turn key to left, gently push depression pin in and turn key a little more to the left.
The rear of barrel- slotted part wll be verticle.
Close inspection of this slotted part will show it to be slightly taped- thick part to top.

Large narrow chrome spring cover- use this to indicate top and small de-compression hole at 3 oclock
This is the barrel ready to ready to slide in

Disconnect battery.
Put a flat bladed screw driver gently into ignition housing reaching into slotted plastic section.
Turn screw driver clockwise to start postion to spring loaded section and count back each notch ON- OFF- ACC
Looking into housing the plastic slotted section will also be verticle.

Slide barrel in turn key to the off position and key should come out.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline aaatp

Re: 66 ignition tumbler, Help
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
GD64: Thanks for the reply and the great info.  I was able, with some difficulty ,to remove the tumbler from the switch.  Got lucky and didn't break anything. After close inspection, it turns out, that the chrome bezel was just slightly out of round, making it difficult
for the ear on the tumbler, that contains the springs and pins, to clear the inner diameter of the bezel. I used a round file to remove some metal from that area and now the tumbler fits and functions as it was designed.
Thanks Again: John