Author Topic: Original Paint '69 Mach1 on Ebay  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
Original Paint '69 Mach1 on Ebay
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:15:10 AM »
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Original Paint '69 Mach1 on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
I think she has had work done !  (Looks like collagen in the lips)

Mark
P.S.  Not bad for a $2500 Craigslist find !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Carl

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
It would be a nice starting point for a restoration, especially from a documentation viewpoint, but there are some pretty significant body issues that would be hard to correct while retaining original paint status.  The driveline isn't in original condition, although the interior is reasonable.  The rust on the underside of the hood as well as elsewhere, the rust throughs on the doors, and all the dings and dents on the rest of the body panels keep the car from presenting well, which is probably what is hurting the price.  130,000 miles is also fairly high without the car having been gone through.
Its also a 351-2V automatic, not the most desireable.  To me, it would need to be restored to be worth showing or driving, leaving it in a garage as a survivor wouldn't do much for me, there are much nicer and more desirable survivors out there for reference.  The cost of restoration wouldn't be cheap, at the end of the day you would end up with a nice '69 Mach, but value wouldn't be high because of the 351-2V/automatic, meaning it might not even be a good financial investment.

Carl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
Plenty pf things played with by might be a good start if you like the way the car is equipped. Looking at the condition the car looks like others I've seen from Northern Calif with 100 or 200 K miles considering the condition of the undercarriage.

Think our Calif Special with either 150 or 250 K looks better under it (we don't know how many miles it has but likely, based on receipts, it looks like 150 ) and has had less replaced.

Never seen one that looked like that, even stored out side (unless this was outside in the higher mountains and snow yearly) in this fairly dry part of the country.  Just a comparison - of course have not seen the car in person. Rust on the bottom of the hood suggest IMHO either a coastal car or one stored on a dirt floor or outside maybe in the wetter northern area

Not sure why the sway bar links, ball joints, steering tie rods and other parts would need replacing with 30 K miles

Interesting that the floors are lacking the Mach I sound deadener - wonder if the heavy cleaning stripped it away  - looks like a little remains in the driveline tunnel. Looks like the same guy with the heavy high pressure washer stripped much of the sound deadener and some paint fron the front wheelwells also
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:44:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)