Author Topic: 1966 Hood Molding  (Read 5926 times)

Offline JKWilson

Re: 1966 Hood Molding
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
Drake's typical M.O. is to engineer/research/manufacture new toolings, either in the U.S. or overseas depending upon the product. If you met with them, you'd find the dedication and ethics to be sky-high, even though they get some criticism from time to time.

I would never think to claim to be knowledgeable as Rick is regarding the parts industry and it's practices. With that said, I can comment in a single (albeit limited), first hand experience with the Drake folks in regards to Ricks comments regarding their dedication and ethics. I can also add, and in their commitment to the hobby and concern over what the hobby wants.

While I have posted this before on the internet, I feel it's appropriate to repeat it here. While attending the 45th at Birmingham I had the opportunity to make a very general inquiry with the Drake folks regarding a process on one of their (then) new 65/66 products. I was anticipating a VERY future purchase of one and would altering it for a totally different application of the assembly then what it's original purpose was for. I ended up having my question directed towards another Drake rep than the one I originally approached, with the comment, "if you ask him, he'll know a lot more about it". Little did I know at the time it was one of Drake's heads of product design! When I fully explained my intended use, and hence my somewhat strange question, he presented his business card and advised they'd be on the road for a week or so and he'd probably forget what I had asked about. As such, please email him and he'd check into for me. Furthermore he sounded genuinely intrigued and interested in my project...and with me being a single end user, not a retailer looking to move tons of inventory! When I arrived home I promptly sent an email and reminded him of everything. After a month or so I got a very polite and professional reply. He also asked if I could send a mailing address, which I did. Not only did he look into my request, he had the item modified at the production facility to exactly what I had intended to do with it. He then sent it to me...gratis! All he asked for in return was for me to let him know how it worked out in my intended application and forward a few pics when I got to it. I would have no doubt that it may be seen offered by them in the future, in it's modified state. So be it (and the reason I'm holding exactly what it is a little close to the chest). I personally think it's a great demonstration of what Rick posted about them!

I'd also like to add one more example of a company that demonstrates a genuine concern about their customers and service. They too have received some criticism from time to time. That company is of course NPD! Yes Rick, I'm dime-ing you out! ;) When Rick read customers were having some difficulties in receiving their new catalogs a year or so ago, he took care of the situation. When I still didn't receive mine Rick asked me directly for my mailing address. What arrived a few days later was box. A box, for a catalog?! Yep! And an NPD t-shirt for me having difficulties in getting one of their FREE catalogs! Speaks volumes to me! BTW Rick, I bought two more while at Jacksonville. The one you sent got worn out!!! ;D
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
I strive to have the professional ethics and customer service for my harness refurbishment hobby-business hat NPD and Rick Schmidt has.  That's probably an impossible goal to achieve, but that is my aim.  There's no one better in the catalog business for Mustangs than NPD.

NPD welcomes feedback, and that is what I intended to put out in my original post.  I did buy the hood molding from NPD, but I don't hold them accountable for my issues.  It was packed correctly and there was no evidence of shipping or storage damage. 

I've also worked with Scott Halseth at the Michigan NPD office in evaluating new items for the NPD catalog.  Scott is wonderful to work with and is truly committed to putting out quality products.

I should also state that I've had very good experiences with VA Classic Mustang, although I don't believe I've had the opportunity to talk or meet with Brant.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 69bossnine

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, I truly appreciate it... :)