Author Topic: Recall/Campaign C5ZZ-3A035-B Tie Rod End Conv. Kit  (Read 334 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Recall/Campaign C5ZZ-3A035-B Tie Rod End Conv. Kit
« on: August 27, 2024, 06:58:13 PM »
Misplaced this kit and when I found it thought I should snap some pictures and share.

I've yet to look up the details about the recall/campaign for these tie rods. Apparently there was an issue on cars equipped with the defective parts and these kits were supplied to dealerships to address that.

#1 - You will notice the early style parts end label with part number and the campaign sticker on the top of the box

#2 - Contents. Two inside and two outside tie rods  (believe these are V8 PS) individually boxes with stick on part number labels

#3 - Short side. Sorry didn't take the cotter key out of the package and include it in the picture

#4 - Long side. Little bit of surface rust on the threaded/machined end  :( Did include the cotter key for this one. Its the same small short type in all of the boxes

#5 - Close up of the different finishes. Please understand these pictures were taken under bright sun light so the darkened base part is lighter than it is in person. Also there is a light coat of protective film still on the parts, have not wiped it away so bits of dust, and gunk in some areas

#6 - 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Recall/Campaign C5ZZ-3A035-B Tie Rod End Conv. Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 10:37:15 PM »
I see the brown mark on the outer and a little blue on the inner, have found those markings before.  Wonder if there's anything in the TSB's about this.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Recall/Campaign C5ZZ-3A035-B Tie Rod End Conv. Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 05:27:17 PM »
...................Wonder if there's anything in the TSB's about this.

Don't see any mention of the campaign nor do I see a mention of a tie rod change.  Letters about the campaigns/recalls were often a separate document sent directly to the dealer/service department You will often find these titled Special Services Letter. Examples of these can be found in the Library also at the bottom of the page if you choose the 1967 sub section

In the Library in the 65 and 66 sections pages listing the (not sure if it is all of them) campaigns

In the 64-65 section and list there is a note that may be this specific issue. It's listed as item #42      Campaign H-93 that affected 3150 vehicles a very small number of cars. 90% of these cars at the time of the report were in dealers hands so only a handful of cars left in the field to contact and fix. Document was assembled 4-29-66

Dated 8-24-64 and titled Mustang Tie Rod Ball Joint

Basically on the Test Grounds they found some wear issues with the old design and the address this issue with redesign of some features
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 05:34:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)