Author Topic: Exhaust system; clamped or welded?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Exhaust system; clamped or welded?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2024, 08:16:51 PM »
Not my pictures I just had them from the link Charles mentioned and placed them here on the site. Backs up what he originally posted in reply #2  ;)
But it's "only" pictures. It that pipe really welded? Have you Ford documentation to back up the welded muffler and pipe?
Well I do.
These Ford drawings are from "1968 Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC).
The 1975 edition shows different service methods and parts.
The second picture - Ref Text Section 52 page 10 NOTE 3 - Supplied In Muffler Assy.
Pic 1 confirms the pipe is a 2 inch diameter;
Pic 3 shows clamp part number of A9AA-5A231-B, 2 inch;
Pic 4 shows the rear pipe and muffler as a completer assembly;
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2024, 09:50:47 PM »
But it's "only" pictures. It that pipe really welded? Have you Ford documentation to back up the welded muffler and pipe?

Respectfully

Don't need documentation IMHO if and when you have examples of real Ford assembly line work.

As far as the attachment. If not welded how are they two held to the other.

Have any documentation that does not show or include service replacement parts?  Maybe something that shows or identifies the parts used on the assembly line?  Plenty of examples where Ford listed one part or process and didn't follow through, changed their mind or the idea never got off the drawing board.

No reason to argue lets look for the facts about how the cars were built on the day the cars were built  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2024, 10:37:12 PM »
Respectfully?
Don't need documentation IMHO if and when you have examples of real Ford assembly line work.
I confirmed that the tail pipe is welded to the muffler for early 260 and 289 single exhausts, provided Ford service stock numbers and Ford service drawings but you insist an undated picture is the absolute bible.
As far as the attachment. If not welded how are they two held to the other.

Read note three on picture two - Supplier in Muffler Assy. There is no reference to how those two pieces are attached - I can't think of any Ford service document that specifies attachment method, so I would guess - weld.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 11:31:24 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2024, 02:02:09 AM »
I confirmed that the tail pipe is welded to the muffler for early 260 and 289 single exhausts, provided Ford service stock numbers and Ford service drawings but you insist an undated picture is the absolute bible. 

Think you missed the point of the post and glad to hear we agree that there were only two "joints" or unions in the system

The pictures were just to share on the site and with members what Charles linked in his post and made it easier for those interested to find and view plus we don't know how long BAT will leave them on their suite
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)