Author Topic: 70 Starter Solenoid Wires  (Read 755 times)

Offline ClevelandKid

70 Starter Solenoid Wires
« on: August 13, 2024, 11:57:32 AM »
Have starting and running issues with my 70 Mach 1. Does anyone know what these wires are with the 2 small hex nuts are that get hooked up on the front side of the starter solenoid? They run back to the passenger side. Just below the positive battery cable. It appears my alternator has croaked as I put a jumper on the battery and it runs for awhile then quits.I try to start it again and when I turn the ignition key on the starter solenoid makes the noise you hear when there is not enough voltage. I have checked and cleaned all the connection surfaces. So Replaced the stater solenoid and it does the same thing. The engine runs for a few minutes and dies. I check the voltage of the battery and it's down to 11.12 volts. So that tells it's running off the battery and kills it after a few minutes. It's the original alternator which is 54 years old. Have a new alternator and starter solenoid coming from Deadnutsparts.com

« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 12:10:52 PM by ClevelandKid »
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: 70 Starter Solenoid Wires
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 04:49:19 PM »
Looks like a circuit breaker.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 07:15:07 PM »
Thats the circuit breaker for the automatic seat back latches. Your car has the Convience group option (Automatic seat back latches, trunk light, map light, parking brake warning light, headlights on warning buzzer, (think I hit them all)) Early 70's used a circuit breaker there, later cars used a Fusible link. Convertibles also used the same harness and breaker for the power top ....   While your under the hood  I'd double check the engine to chassis ground (originally incorporated in the neg. battery cable as alot of cars lost that when the cable was replaced).    Hope this helps .... John

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 08:47:49 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes I have deluxe interior with auto set back latches and all the other things mentioned. Think I'll take them apart and give them a good cleaning the Headlight buzzer doesn't work anymore or the ignition buzzer. Hope a good cleaning fixes the problem. Well my car is 54 years old last March and is totally unrestored. I'm struggling as I have Parkinson's its taking a toll on my whole body. Especially my hands and it's hard crawling around on the floor. My heart is giving me fits too. Having PVCs. But I got to give it hell as I haven't driven it this year or last. I know it's not good to let them set. Owned it since 9/73.  ;)

Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline Tucson Bruce

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 08:13:03 PM »
John nailed it,
Beautiful looking Mach !!