Author Topic: Painting of Inside wheel archs and front and back underbelly.  (Read 1360 times)

Offline LouisGT350H

Hi

I am restoring a 1966 hertz shelby, and I wanted to know the correct painting of the inside of the wheel arches and the underneath of the front and rear.

Where they painted read oxide or black?

Thanks

Louis Sciuto
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:11:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: PAinting of Inside wheel archs and front and back underbelly.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 08:54:56 PM »
Hi

I am restoring a 1966 hertz shelby, and I wanted to know the correct painting of the inside of the wheel arches and the underneath of the front and rear.

Where they painted read oxide or black?

Thanks

Louis Sciuto
The underside was painted a red oxide shade (salmon?) and the then the outside body color. There will be body color overspray on top of the red oxide around the sides and back . The wheel wells were painted at the same time as the body color so they will be body color also with maybe a little of the red oxide showing through along the edges of the frame rails if any. There will be black overspray from the engine compartment paint along the bottom side of the frame rails in the engine compartment area. Of course the back side of the front and rear aprons shock towers etc. were blacked out at the same time as the engine compartment paint. The black paint of the engine compartment was oversprayed into the tunnel as far as the painter could reach. There was no distinct cut line between the engine compartment black and the red oxide of the tunnel . Many make a mistake there with a defined cut line. You didn't ask but don't forget the pinch weld black out which will produce black overspray underneath too. This is a somewhat short answer but you can get a idea . I will let others fill in some blanks if I missed anything.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Painting of Inside wheel archs and front and back underbelly.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 05:56:18 PM »
Easiest way to explain it is for you to go to the Library section of the site and read through the article on
- Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1966  San Jose Built Mustangs & Shelby's

A couple of screen shots of a couple of pages from that article

On the main page down toward the bottom you will find a main section titled Library then fine the year your interested and then the articles

There are allot of details to include in a thread so that is the purpose of articles. There are numerous threads showing examples for how San Jose did these things in 66. Both in the 66 sections and the unrestored picture threads.

If you don't find exactly what you need or want a clarification post a follow up and we'll assist

The tint of red oxide for the firewall rearward (a different source for the firewall forward was used) depends often when the car was built at San Jose but most of the year IMHO  the rear section was more on the muddy brownish tint of red oxide. And remember red oxide does not mean open primer that creates a flat look but instead an epoxy based product that created a smooth often slightly shiny look. More about that and products people have had success with in other threads

« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 06:00:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline LouisGT350H

Re: PAinting of Inside wheel archs and front and back underbelly.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 09:18:24 PM »
Thank you
appreciate the help. will let my painters know