Author Topic: Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining  (Read 693 times)

Offline dkknab

Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining
« on: June 19, 2024, 08:33:36 PM »
I saw some info about this for 64-1/2 to 65s but not 68. So question is the self retaining bolts 379749-s2 body color or not?

And how do you install these when new? I had one fall out but can't figure out how to get it back into the rectangular hole and not fall out.

Also the nuts for 68 is 376838-s2 which is different than the earlier cars that seem to use the same nuts as the seat retaining nuts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 06:08:01 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline jwc66k

Re: pper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 04:48:51 PM »
I saw some info about this for 64-1/2 to 65s but not 68. So question is the self retaining bolts 379749-s2 body color or not?
Not.
And how do you install these when new? I had one fall out but can't figure out how to get it back into the rectangular hole and not fall out.
Practice. Actually, it slides in and the "wings" go on top.
Also the nuts for 68 is 376838-s2 which is different than the earlier cars that seem to use the same nuts as the seat retaining nuts.
Probable for better "load" distribution and/or hole alignment.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

Re: Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 06:11:29 PM »
Actually, it slides in and the "wings" go on top.Probable for better "load" distribution and/or hole alignment.
Jim

My wings are under the stone guard not on top.  And since these ate covered by the trim pieces I'm guessing the fact mine are body color isn't a big deal.

Does anyone have pictures as Jim mentioned showing the wings?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 07:21:56 PM »
Seek and ye shall find.
(I use duckduckgo dot com. This picture came from the third listing.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 07:35:04 PM »
Seek and ye shall find.
(I use duckduckgo dot com. This picture came from the third listing.)
Jim

Finding the part was not the issue.  It's the install and finish that I question.  Here are mine,  passenger side,  center,  and driver side in order.  It's the center one that falls out easily.

And clearly the wings on my bits are under the guard.  There does seem to be some magic to getting them installed unless the wings need to be bent out after putting the bolts into place.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 07:40:37 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 08:14:23 PM »
Finding the part was not the issue.  It's the install and finish that I question. 
One hundred percent phosphate and oil. All those added on major parts were painted well before they reached the assembly line.
It's the install and finish that I question. 
As I said, it slips in. The "wings" (you could say "tabs" as well) keep the retainer from dropping thru the rectangular "hole". The width of the "hole" is slightly wider than the base. The length fits behind on both ends. That's what holds them in.
Practice, lad, practice.
Jim