Author Topic: 68 Air Cleaner Service Decals  (Read 1904 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Air Cleaner Service Decals
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 05:00:06 PM »
The problem I think is that the stickers were placed on the filter housing. Then at some point the filter housings were installed at the vehicle assembly plant. No one likely cared whether a filter housing was the first one in or last one out.

Royce I tend to believe that the stickers were placed on the air filter base and top at a substation at the car assembly plants. Stickers came from one provider while the other parts from another suppliers. If I recall correctly in a number of the different year assembly manuals there are instructions for the location of the stickers and that suggest to me that they were one there or they would not have been part of the instructions as to how Ford wanted the cars to be assembled at the car plant. Little difference but this could, of course explain some of the somewhat random pattern we find since we've yet to consider where each of the findings came from (car plants) They didn't have allot of storage at the car plants and the stickers take up little room and could possibly get mixed up, based on when they were received maybe a little easier.  Of course considering that we've included NJ examples it's always seems to appear that there could be less care taken at that plant when compared to the others.

Just possibly a consideration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 05:08:59 PM »
I am just trying to understand how a very late built Dearborn 428CJ Cougar could have a blue painted air cleaner top and the decal from very early in the model year. Both were supposed to have been phased out by the time that car was built.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »
I am just trying to understand how a very late built Dearborn 428CJ Cougar could have a blue painted air cleaner top and the decal from very early in the model year. Both were supposed to have been phased out by the time that car was built.

Wonder when the picture was taken (new fresh car or something that had been run by him for a while). You know racers and details count while other details don't but good question. Didn't look it up but do we know the VIN and build date of that particular car? Guess this is a subject for a deep look for another thread about the lid. Is the flapper section suppose to be blue on a Cougar?

Jeff- The grainy picture you posted of a 135 air cleaner- was it from the March Hot Rod Mag? You can see the left 1/3 of the decal- I have looked everywhere for it to no avail. The base of the air cleaner for those 50  135 cars was actually from a 1967 Thunderbird. There were a number of variations in the air cleaner from the 68 1/2 cobra jets.

Guess your referring to the B&W picture at the bottom of Teply #2.  Sorry not enough room in the title field for labeling the picture to show everything. Don't believe I originally scanned this picture so don't recall the source. If that is a 67 390 base then they had the use the snorkel style from the thermactor 390 cars as a beginning point considering there are no cut outs for the dual screens and it has the front elbow for the breather.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 05:21:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2023, 09:56:38 PM »
Wonder when the picture was taken (new fresh car or something that had been run by him for a while). You know racers and details count while other details don't but good question. Didn't look it up but do we know the VIN and build date of that particular car? Guess this is a subject for a deep look for another thread about the lid. Is the flapper section suppose to be blue on a Cougar?

Guess your referring to the B&W picture at the bottom of Teply #2.  Sorry not enough room in the title field for labeling the picture to show everything. Don't believe I originally scanned this picture so don't recall the source. If that is a 67 390 base then they had the use the snorkel style from the thermactor 390 cars as a beginning point considering there are no cut outs for the dual screens and it has the front elbow for the breather.

The car is VIN # 8F93R589867 and had a scheduled build date of 26U as I posted in post #10.  The air cleaner lid was changed to black around a month earlier on all cars, including Mustangs and Cougars. So this air cleaner assembly was existing and old when it became part of that car. 
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock