Author Topic: What's This?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline ClevelandKid

What's This?
« on: July 09, 2023, 06:18:43 PM »
Well after 50 years of owning my original unrestored 70 Mach 1 I decided to change my gas tank and sending unit as the sending unit quit working after years of running E10. The inside of the tank looks like a swamp. I took out the original mat and removed the factory tar shield that sets on the tank which I never had removed since I bought the car in 1973. This is what I found underneath. Some sort of hard particle board. What could this possibly be for?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 06:31:15 PM by carlite65 »
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: What's This?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 06:32:01 PM »
Well after 50 years of owning my original unrestored 70 Mach 1 I decided to change my gas tank and sending unit as the sending unit quit working after years of running E10. The inside of the tank looks like a swamp. I took out the original mat and removed the factory tar shield that sets on the tank which I never had removed since I bought the car in 1973. This is what I found underneath. Some sort of hard particle board. What could this possibly be fore?

It is a insulator that helps add support (spread the load ) to the gas tank top half when the spare tire is cranked down and secured in place. It also helps keep the tire from rubbing through the trunk mat over the stiffing ribs of the gas tank.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 12:58:07 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 08:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. My car as noted on the factory invoice that I got many years ago from Lois Emminger was ordered with a full size spare.  ;)
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 12:56:52 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. My car as noted on the factory invoice that I got many years ago from Lois Emminger was ordered with a full size spare.  ;)
I also see the board on space saver spare equipped cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 04:05:16 PM »
Earlier discussion on the same subject just different year :)

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11915.msg72111#msg72111

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 03:28:15 PM »
Nice shape and markings