Author Topic: 67 NJ buck tag question  (Read 507 times)

Offline pedbike

67 NJ buck tag question
« on: January 25, 2023, 04:21:20 PM »
I  have a 67 built-in jersey and on the tag it has a "-R" which thought was for radio delete, but the car has a factory am radio and on the built sheet the box for radio am in checked. So you said that maybe it was for remote mirror which it also has but I think that was should have been "r/m"   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:19:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Brett Hendricks
65 fastback
67 bench seat/ special paint convertible

Offline K-HESS

Re: 67 NJ buck tag question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:11:51 PM »
If I recall correctly the -R was for delete of the rocker molding. The rocker molding could have been part of a package and was unwanted.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 07:30:04 PM »
Well you have ruled out the radio delete idea that first springs to mind and some others, in the past,  have guessed was the connection.

Looking at other 67 NJ cars I found others with the -R coding with factory radios according to their Marti reports/Ford information. So we have multiple confirmations that its not a "fit"

A simple way to look at much of the coding on a buck tag is that this was the way workers knew what holes and brackets needed to be present before painting so that they were present when it came time to install parts on the car. Looking at a number of studies that have taken place over the decades that included or focused on New Jersey plant. Also the codes were different depending on what plant and year - even the time of year according to workers so be careful of studies that don't separate or ones that borrow codes from other years and plants

So looking at my collection of buck tags and cross referencing those with pictures of the car as well as Marti reports and/or buildsheets if available I think I found the link.

The "-R" appears to relate to the lack of rocker panel molding. Since rocker molding came on allot of 67 Mustangs and there were two rocker panels produced during part of the 67 production year (one of the running changes) this code told workers not to drill holes in early production and in later months which rocker panel (with out holes) should be installed on these specific cars.

Open to discussion or other options but so far have a number of cars with confirmation that helped me form my conclusion at this present time. Will offer I do have couple of examples with the -R with rocker panel molding but those were likely added by a later owner or during "restoration". On at least one of these the buildsheet shows no rocker molding originally.

There were other examples with buck tags without "-R" in the search that had rocker panel molding to confirm the buck tags stamped that way to help confirm the finding suggested

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pedbike

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 12:40:37 PM »
I had to go back and look at some old photos of the car and it doesn't have rocker panel trim but it is an exterior Decor trim car. I know trunk trim, hood vents, gas cap, and wheel opening trim were part of the "ET" group. Was the rocker trip part of it? Was there anything I missed?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:00:27 PM by carlite65 »
Brett Hendricks
65 fastback
67 bench seat/ special paint convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 04:33:32 PM »
I had to go back and look at some old photos of the car and it doesn't have rocker panel trim but it is an exterior Decor trim car. I know trunk trim, hood vents, gas cap, and wheel opening trim were part of the "ET" group. Was the rocker trip part of it? Was there anything I missed?

Of course they could and have been added to cars over the years but based on the examples we have with the buildsheet and Marti information it appears not. Sure someone will post Ford documentation or sales lit (not always correct but a help) in the near future :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 06:06:31 PM »
For 67, rocker panel moldings were standard on all fastbacks (except Shelby), optional on coupes and convertibles.  The option was stand alone, not part of exterior decor
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660