Author Topic: Aluminum VIN tag on dash  (Read 652 times)

Offline mrrilla

Aluminum VIN tag on dash
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:29:48 PM »
I did some searching on this forum and saw some discussion about the 68 only aluminum VIN tag on the dash but nothing that addressed my question. I understand that 68 was the first year of the dash VIN and that Ford made a horrible choice in selecting aluminum for this tag. Like many others, mine is staring to deteriorate around the edges. Its still readable but I like to try and save it since a stock replacement appears to be out of question.

Can the original tag be soaked in something to stop the corrosion? can it be encapsulated?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Aluminum VIN tag on dash
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 05:00:54 PM »
Interesting question and one I've not see before not had a need to.

As a guess I would first test to see if the surface is alkaline or acid then soak for a short time or wash the tag in a neutralizer until I got a balance back.

A clear coat of paint in most cases will yellow over time more so if exposed to the sun light. Don't think a clear powder coat will work due to the baking temps required. Wax or preventive oils might help but not sure how long they will last but then your car will likely not be exposed to the elements as it originally was so it might outlive your ownership

Just some quick thoughts. I'm sure we have other members that are much better versed in related fields

Good luck with your choices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a number of 68 cars and have not had corrosion problems with the tag. Often the black mask is light or gone. The only cars I have seen with corrosion are cars that were open outside. You could clean the tag with a fine scotch bright and then polish with metal polish then apply the mask. 

Offline dave6768

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 08:38:22 PM »