Author Topic: 67 Oil Filter  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Oil Filter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »
Excellent. Thanks to Jeff and Bob I have verified that the versions I have in stock have the raised letters as noted in the pics above.
Since the assy line never had the silk screened logo and such I'll lightly sand the sides smooth and apply some engine paint.
I'll leave the crimp area white. Uh oh. Did I jump the shark on that detail?

Thanks!
The crimp on base was bare steel originally not white. It might get some overspray during the engine paint process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 10:50:26 PM »
Ok, I've gotten into trouble before referencing threads that said something different than what's being stated here so I'll apply the caveat that maybe I'm not reading either of these threads right, the data has changed or something else.

This thread comes to mind in that it appears a mask was possibly placed over the oil filter area. The filter would get in the way of applying paint around the canister. But now we are talking engine paint over-spray onto the filter.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18688.0
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 11:58:13 PM »
Ok, I've gotten into trouble before referencing threads that said something different than what's being stated here so I'll apply the caveat that maybe I'm not reading either of these threads right, the data has changed or something else.

This thread comes to mind in that it appears a mask was possibly placed over the oil filter area. The filter would get in the way of applying paint around the canister. But now we are talking engine paint over-spray onto the filter.

Other then the 1970 painting instructions which seems to indicate a filter was not in place I don't have any supporting evidence to prove for certain it was screwed on when the engine was painted. Some of my peers believe that the filter was in place which is why I stated "might get some overspray during the engine paint process" to cover that possibility. Gather evidence pro and con then decide what is best for you to do.   :) given that both the filter and any overspray would also be Ford blue hypothetically you may not see any overspray even if it is there. At least that is one argument . It could be argued ether way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 12:01:14 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 04:43:18 PM »

Since the method Ford used to insure the lack of paint on specific surfaces and parts was dealt with using many different ways (masked, not installed, and so on) I think an assumption of a mask being used is a stretch IMHO. Methods also depended on engine size and year as in some cases, an example, distributors were installed later while on other engine types and years they were installed and bagged it appears based on overspray on the housing

We do have pictures of engine oil filters installed at the time the engine was painted with blue paint as shown below.

That discussion thread

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15273.msg95415#msg95415
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:48:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)