Author Topic: Mach1 Sport Lamp Grille Chrome + Black or Chrome + Argent?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Angela

Mach1 Sport Lamp Grille Chrome + Black or Chrome + Argent?
« on: December 04, 2022, 03:26:55 AM »
I searched the forum prior to creating this thread yet its likely I'm just not coming up with the right search terms...

Over the years I've collected several pairs of original D0ZZ-13200 sport lamp assemblies (used and NOS). I noticed that some of the grilles have black paint applied to the chrome, while a much smaller # of them have argent paint applied instead. For a 1970 Mach1 application, which (or both) is correct?

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mach1 Sport Lamp Grille Chrome + Black or Chrome + Argent?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 05:15:44 AM »
Do you want to focus on a particular plant?  Lots of Mach I's out there and we likely have a mix, especially if anyone looks at a restored car, of service ones also that may lead some of us astray

At least one Mach I in the Unrestored Picture section as a nice close up. Lighting and angle always play their part. For example the three pictures below. Challenge for my resources is that few take pictures of this detail so that you can determine the finish but more than willing to take the time and go through the effort of looking and posting

All from the same car

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:21:03 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »
Many thanks Jeff!  In this specific case, I'm restoring a Dearborn Mach1, built 10/08/69.
It's difficult to know for sure, yet the pictures you kindly provided appear to show chrome around the perimeter of the sport lamp grilles.   I have several pairs and find these scenarios:
(1) Chrome front and chrome perimeter with black paint everywhere else
(2) Chrome on the front only, black paint everywhere else
(3) Chrome on the front only, argent paint everywhere else

I'm trying to figure out what scenario is correct for the above stated application and build date/plant. Perhaps the differences noted above simply reflect multiple Ford sources for these sport lamps?
Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Many thanks Jeff!  In this specific case, I'm restoring a Dearborn Mach1, built 10/08/69.
It's difficult to know for sure, yet the pictures you kindly provided appear to show chrome around the perimeter of the sport lamp grilles.   I have several pairs and find these scenarios:
(1) Chrome front and chrome perimeter with black paint everywhere else
(2) Chrome on the front only, black paint everywhere else
(3) Chrome on the front only, argent paint everywhere else

I'm trying to figure out what scenario is correct for the above stated application and build date/plant. Perhaps the differences noted above simply reflect multiple Ford sources for these sport lamps?
Thanks.
I can't provide testimony on what came on a 70 Mustang but have extensive studied what came assemblyline on a 69/70 Shelby which was Dearborn built and used the exact same sport lamp assembly/bezel . I have viewed hundreds of cars and owned and seen many dozens of NOS singles and pairs all in semigloss black and chrome. The NOS versions color seen would also confirm what was typical based on the survivor car observations. With that said my conclusion is that they typically had semigloss black painted on the chrome with exposed chrome leading edge. Even though I have not come across ones that had dark argent I would not dismiss those observations but instead consider them anomalies and more the exception rather then the rule. With talking to others about the subject semi gloss black with chrome leading edge is the general consensus I have found. Just my observation and opinion .Others may have different. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:45:53 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby