Author Topic: Reproduction review request  (Read 2075 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Reproduction review request
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
Like many I have the task of comparing refinishing original parts or purchasing reproductions and thought I would ask those that have gone this way before what they had found. Looking at the following reproductions and wanted some recent reviews and opinions of them.

- Drivers side remote mirror

- Deluxe door panels

- Aluminum deluxe door panel inserts

- Aluminum deluxe dash panel inserts

Think that is everything right now

Thanks in advance

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

Re: Reproduction review request
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
The drivers side mirror that I used was a Drake as far as re pros go I would rate it a 8.
The door panels were good except they were not available in saddle color so I had to dye parchment ones.  The holes had to be redrilled. Would rate them 7.
 For the aluminum deluxe door panels and the aluminum deluxe dash panels. That one is easy a 10 for Burton Antique Auto. Mort Burton won't make it unless it is equal to or better than Ford.  Marty
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:32:52 PM by ruppstang »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
I would agree regarding the door panels, don't buy the non Burton ones. The mirrors look pretty good but if you atually drive the car they continually lose the setting and you are always adjusting it which is very annoying
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
As Tim pointed out, the reproduction mirror (listed as the "best") when purchased will annoy you by not keeping its adjustment.  Also, remote outside driver mirrors seem to have an unusual "knob" on the inside that controls the mirror.  At least it was a different shape than the original in my 68.  Close, yes somewhat, but certainly not exact.  Another instance where it seems to have been easy to make this little knob the same shape as the original but for somereason the manufacturer  chose not to.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks guys - the car I will be using the parts on is a 67 - so I wonder (given John's comment) if the interior knob of the mirror is the 67 style?   Just comparing the cost, effort and need between using the repo and rechroming an original
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
I think the 67 reproduction knob is fairly accurate. The replate would at least be twice the cost of the re-pro but you would not have to keep resetting you mirror. Marty