Author Topic: black "primer" versus engine bay black  (Read 1990 times)

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
black "primer" versus engine bay black
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
After cleaning the undercarriage of my candyapple 12-66 Dearborn built 67 fastback with a bit of mineral spirits on a rag it's apparent that they used more of a semi-gloss black rather than flat black primer on my car. The undercarriage is original paint. I read in the FAQs that this was done at points to save costs etc. My question is with this level of gloss in the paint used as primer, would they have bothered to shoot it again with engine bay black ? possibly a paint with a lesser gloss ie. semi-flat? It would seem a bit redundant, especially if they were cutting costs. Inquiring minds. ???   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: black "primer" versus engine bay black
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Believe they were different paints since they served different purpose and believe one (at least that is what Ford documents list) - the undercarriage paint - as an epoxy based product to seal the metal from the elements

Because the use of the epoxy based paint the finish is often smoother (than the engine compartment paint) and slightly shinier IMHO, matching what I think your describing

BTW can I get (you can PM if you would like) a VIN or at least the first four of the sequential number - since it's easier to place that in the spread sheet?  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:56:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
thanks jeff.  :) appreciate the reply. Looks like they really put it on thick in the trans tunnel...lots of runs down both sides, which gives it a pretty shiny appearance. Where it isn't as thick, the shine is more matted...Looking at it closer with strong light it also has a blue/grey kinda hue to it, which is quite noticeable when compared to rattle can blacks...another question.....would you have a recipe for getting close to that blue/gry hue in PPG paints ? ......I'll PM you the VIN for your spreadsheet.   

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
Jeff.....let me know if you got my PM.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
thanks jeff.  :) appreciate the reply. Looks like they really put it on thick in the trans tunnel...lots of runs down both sides, which gives it a pretty shiny appearance. Where it isn't as thick, the shine is more matted...Looking at it closer with strong light it also has a blue/grey kinda hue to it, which is quite noticeable when compared to rattle can blacks..

Since we believe that this was applied by a fixture under the car (sprayed as the unibody passed over it) we expect to see areas where the paint collected and dripped from while in other areas shadows created by other panels would have limited coverage

Sounds like you found - bot black but instead one of the versions of batch gray we often talk about

.another question.....would you have a recipe for getting close to that blue/gry hue in PPG paints ?

No exact color or formula since it would change every time they added in more of the base primer/sealer or the left over exterior colors. Last batch I made I started out with a late model VW dark gray and added some left over blues I had around the shop

......I'll PM you the VIN for your spreadsheet.

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)