Author Topic: 70 fuel tank mounting bolts  (Read 339 times)

Offline Badgas6228

70 fuel tank mounting bolts
« on: July 04, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
70 fuel tank mounting bolts issue,10-21-69 N-J car
Putting fuel tank in, There are 11 bolts hold tank in. The 4 bolts across the back of tank tighten into  the  body prefect, the other 7 the holes in body already to big to tighten factory bolts, trying to find a remady.. and not get docked in judging. Thought about Putting ford style cage nuts on 7 screws , kinda like the hood scoop ring nuts. if I would of had a clue I would of welded up holes and resized them, should of would of?. Cars in final assy mode now fresh paint and all. When i tore the car down the P O had just put a new fuel tank in and had put the bolts in and let the caulking or dumdum hold bolts, well thats not kool the tank needs to be bolted in as for the strenth of the rear trunk area of the car. So thought about putting the7 bolts in from the bottom and the nuts on the top hidden by trunk sound pads and trunk mat(Any ideas) Thanks  Greg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 02:33:24 PM by Badgas6228 »

Offline jwc66k

Re: 70 fuel tank mounting bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »
The only "decent" way is to remove the tank and attempt to put some metal in place for the screw, 55981-S36 (14-14X1/2HH, FLANGE), to grip. This "may" be done by pounding the hole into shape. Note the -S36 finish, gold zinc (available at AMK).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »
The only "decent" way is to remove the tank and attempt to put some metal in place for the screw, 55981-S36 (14-14X1/2HH, FLANGE), to grip. This "may" be done by pounding the hole into shape. Note the -S36 finish, gold zinc (available at AMK).
Jim
+1 . Unlike a drilled out hole for a bolt the screw typically moves the metal out of the way allowing for moving it back somewhat. If your lucky you will be able to hammer the metal so as to squeeze the metal surface back so that the hole is smaller to grip the screw threads. You will have to have a second person to back up the opposite side of the hole with a solid piece of steel given the extent of hammering you will have to do to move the metal. The metal lip will just bend without the back side support.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 07:38:34 PM »
Thanks Fellows, I did a simular move on the screw holes down the tunnel for the brake line. Just caught me off guard tanks sitting in there with the caulk and all,been on this job for 4 years burning out 1000s of hours.,now I see the fix pull tank rework metal, even if I need to Weld fresh steel to drill. Regroup take a holiday, just sucks can't know everything don't like redoing things, now that I'm looking real close a 5/16 bolt is loose in the holes, maybe they were drilled bigger at some point. Time to get the tig out . Greg