Author Topic: Build Anomaly  (Read 1388 times)

Offline alanmac

Re: Build Anomaly
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
Jeff,  Just to be clear I didn't add the jumper wire, it was there as a factory mistake.  Let us know how your 69 Boss is configured.  Alan
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:44:31 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 03:36:33 PM »
Jeff,  Just to be clear I didn't add the jumper wire, it was there as a factory mistake.  Let us know how your 69 Boss is configured.  Alan

Understand

As for my 69 Boss its configured like all the others. Both on the passenger side for some reason even though they didn't come with a oil cooler.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 05:51:26 PM »
My understanding is non oil cooler cars in 69 or 70 had the horns on the Left and Right side.   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 07:32:23 PM »
My understanding is non oil cooler cars in 69 or 70 had the horns on the Left and Right side.
That is shown in the "1970 Mustang Electric Assembly Manual" (AM0033) pages 5 and 6. The "jumper wire" was a Fairlane harness.
If you don't have a set, I strongly suggest you invest in them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
Thank Jim,  I didn't know the history of the jumper wire.  I have the 70 electrical assembly manual and use it for reference.  Ford made assembly mistakes and this is most likely the case for my car with the jumper wire and the two horns mounted on the RH side.     
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 03:52:52 AM »
My two cents..... build it to what's correct rather than what the masses expect it to be. By conforming you are losing a little piece of history and though you will be hassled by the uninformed, you will be happily surprised by the odd person that will comment that theirs is the same.
Brad

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »
My two cents..... build it to what's correct rather than what the masses expect it to be. By conforming you are losing a little piece of history and though you will be hassled by the uninformed, you will be happily surprised by the odd person that will comment that theirs is the same.
Brad

I agree.  If you can document how your car was originally built, I favor putting it back that way.  Otherwise the cars become homogenized to conform to rules or expectations and lose some of their identity.  Then again, I don't enter judged events so maybe I would feel differently after defending details like this one.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline alanmac

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 10:32:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and information from everyone.  Once again this was a great conversation and good knowledge learning. Funny thing is no one has ever asked about it in 43 years....   Alan 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 03:07:21 PM »
Agree odd ball discoveries, mistakes and other findings can be difficult to untangle and this is often leads to a  choice that owners face as we've discussed it dozens of times here. Do I restore the car to how the company and plant should have built the car or the way I found it?

Think there is one thing missing though in this particular discussion, I don't think we've established that the car was unrestored when alanmac got the car, unless I missed it somewhere in the discussion. Way too many owners only refer back to "this is the way it was when I purchased the car in the 80's or 90's. Not IMHO a good solid point in the cars history to base a choice on most of the time. If the car was unrestored and if there are not marks or damage to the area around the unused attachment point then that would help

Of course with modifications often another owner will come up with the same solution or purchase the same replacement leading to findings that are unreliable as many of the examples of the cars I have pictures of show.  Findings can work both ways
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 01:05:05 PM »
I bought my car in 79. It was unrestored.  It was completely stock with no modifications except Crager mags were added.  There was no evidence of a fender bender.  It was an untouched car that need a restoration.  Alan
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx