Author Topic: 65 GT Fan Shroud  (Read 643 times)

Offline 65IVYGT

65 GT Fan Shroud
« on: May 15, 2022, 08:40:48 PM »
I've read all the posts...and am still confused. I have a 65 GT, SJ-May, factory air, 7-blade fan. Car currently has a metal fan shroud, but looking at the MCA Judging Rules, its says my fan shroud should have a rubber piece stapled to the passenger side of the shroud. So, originals must have been plastic or some other material other than metal, correct? Is it even remotely possible that my car came with a metal fan shroud? NPD sells a plastic fan shroud with the rubber and staples, but notes that the rubber is not a thick as original. If proper thickness is absolutely required, does anyone else sell the proper part...or am I destined to search for an OEM part? Thank you in advance.
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 GT Fan Shroud
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 08:56:42 PM »
I've read all the posts...and am still confused. I have a 65 GT, SJ-May, factory air, 7-blade fan. Car currently has a metal fan shroud, but looking at the MCA Judging Rules, its says my fan shroud should have a rubber piece stapled to the passenger side of the shroud. So, originals must have been plastic or some other material other than metal, correct? Is it even remotely possible that my car came with a metal fan shroud? NPD sells a plastic fan shroud with the rubber and staples, but notes that the rubber is not a thick as original. If proper thickness is absolutely required, does anyone else sell the proper part...or am I destined to search for an OEM part? Thank you in advance.
Original fan shrouds were steel with a rubber insulator stapled through the metal. No plastic fan shroud in 65/66. If the repro has a different style rubber then you need to think outside the box and source the rubber from some place else if you want something better.That is a challenge many are up for. For example in my city there is a company Hanna Rubber that handles all types of rubber products. I would go there  if I needed a hose ,pad, etc. and look through what they have or if I am lucky take a sample to match up to. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »
Thank you. I was confused because I didn't think it would be possible to staple through metal. So...I guess the second question would be: was the stapled rubber pad factory installed on all 65 SJ (May) or is it along the lines of some have it and some don't...?
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 04:44:07 PM »
Thank you. I was confused because I didn't think it would be possible to staple through metal.

Remember/consider that Ford car plants stapled the seal applied to the top edge of the radiator support on some models for years as well as the rubber sections attached (stapled) to the front splash shields in the front wheel wells. A common practice

So...I guess the second question would be: was the stapled rubber pad factory installed on all 65 SJ (May) or is it along the lines of some have it and some don't...?

May 65 - Yes that would be how the shrouds arrived at the car assembly plants from the provider. There are some possibilities (looks like pretty certain) that some later 66's didn't have the feature.  In adding the pad and staples take notice that the shroud was painted after these were installed so the final look is black paint over the rubber pad as well as the staples as shown

Below - from another thread on the subject

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)