Author Topic: 69 Metuchen Running Change Thread-Trunk Lid Stripe  (Read 667 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 Metuchen Running Change Thread-Trunk Lid Stripe
« on: April 06, 2022, 06:17:22 PM »
We had a small- short discussion a while back and I thought we should start some separate threads focusing on the running change. Ford in the early part of 69 production was provided with stripe kits for the new Mach I by #m. Ford some reason the words MACH I was not included on the trunk section or in some cases lacked the rear stripe all together as were the preproduction cars used in the early advertisements. This was later changed. 

Here is another example - this time a NJ Mach I with a projected build date from Nov 1968 with no rear Mach I. Looks like there is a good possibility that that style rear stripe was installed to the end of 1968 or slightly beyond

If we need to or can find enough data, discussions about the non-reflective stripes or the changes in the side stripes can be discussed in other threads

I mined an earlier thread on the subject that had a mix of plant examples and have included those examples below to help

- 12/?/68 without Mach I - Posted by 69390

- 2/24/69 with Mach I - Posted by priceless
- 5/19/69 with Mach I - Posted by app01

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
Re: 69 Metuchen Running Change Thread-Trunk Lid Stripe
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 02:46:49 AM »
Thanks again Jeff!  I hope all the early car people will have some insight on this.  I think Brian Conways car is very early.  Maybe he will have original pictures?

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:05:19 PM »
Thanks again Jeff!  I hope all the early car people will have some insight on this.  I think Brian Conways car is very early.  Maybe he will have original pictures?

Dave

Since you own a San Jose car the findings on a car built at other plants may be of little help in determining how your car was built originally
Jeff Speegle

Offline Daven

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »
I think it's really interesting how much of a delay at the start of the 69 year for the mustangs there were in every plant. The model year started in August? Does anyone know how many cars were produced in a day back then?

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 10:47:07 PM »
I think it's really interesting how much of a delay at the start of the 69 year for the mustangs there were in every plant. The model year started in August? Does anyone know how many cars were produced in a day back then?

Dave

Seen a few quotes from managers from different plants and not always a specific year. Of course they are often referring to the whole plant with multiple lines all going at the same time. Mustangs were only built on one of those and of course with other models on the same individual line so the numbers would not equal the number of Mustangs being built in a day even if they remembered for some reason individual lines
Jeff Speegle

Offline Daven

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »
I threw out the question about the Mach I lettering missing on the trunk lid of early 69 Mach I's on a 69/70 group site and got some great response.   One guy said he's never seen one in all his years of being around cars and that I should ask Bob Perkins.  Two others had cars without the Mach I letters.  One was from Metuchen and the other was from San Jose.  The San Jose car is very close in production as mine.  I'm going to follow the direction of that car because of its history.  This is a great topic.  It seems like mid December was the change for some of the plants?

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 04:57:41 PM »
I threw out the question about the Mach I lettering missing on the trunk lid of early 69 Mach I's on a 69/70 group site and got some great response.............................  This is a great topic. It seems like mid December was the change for some of the plants?

Don't know what data, vins or real build dates were offered. Of course we need to collect more data from all three plants to narrow down the change since it appears it might vary by a month or so and so few unrestored and unpainted examples remain especially NJ ones
Jeff Speegle

Offline Daven

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »
I will be traveling to look at this original car and take as many pictures and documentation as I can.  I do know that there is no Mach I letters on trunk lid and the white part of the gold and white stripe is not reflective. 

Dave