Author Topic: 1968 Leaf Spring Markings  (Read 762 times)

Offline Flade

1968 Leaf Spring Markings
« on: April 10, 2022, 02:20:29 PM »
Has anyone created a good list of all the different paint markings for leaf springs?  I am some Eaton springs I am trying to make look close to original.

I have removed the springs in my 68 convertible and it turned out they are original.  They have two paint strips but I can?t tell the original color.

The springs are marked C7ZA-5556-AA.   G1-8C

I have seen stripes applied anywhere from near the end of the spring all the way up near the center.  Did this vary by year, plant or the person applying the paint?

My car is a C code.  How many different springs did they use in 68. I know they adjusted the front springs for engine, A/C and other options.  Did they do the same for the rear?  I have seen pics of a 68 Shelby with a Pink and Orange stripe.  I have seen other descriptions of 68s with a single silver stripe.  Any guesses what mine originally were?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 03:46:59 PM by Flade »
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Leaf Spring Markings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 02:33:30 PM »
Has anyone created a good lift of all the different paint markings for leaf springs?  I am some Eaton springs I am trying to make look close to original.

I have removed the springs in my 68 convertible and it turned out they are original.  They have two paint strips but I can?t tell the original color.

I have seen stripes applied anywhere from near the end of the spring all the way up near the center.  Did this vary by year, plant or the person apply8ng the paint?

My car is a C code.  How many different springs did they use in 68. I know they adjusted the front springs for engine, A/C and other options.  Did they do the same for the rear? I have seen pics of a 68 Shelby with a Pink and Orange stripe.  I have seen other descriptions of 68s with a single silver stripe.  Any guesses what mine originally were?

Thanks
By far the most typical 68 Shelby rear leaf is the competition suspension option spring which is the C7ZA-AR regardless of engine or option. No pink strip on 68 Shelby's rear leaf only orange stripe. Be sure to verify the accuracy of information in pictures that you see . This especially true if new to the research and looking at restored cars that may have been restored wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Flade

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »
Thanks Bob,  where is the correct position for the orange strip on the Shelby?s?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 04:27:07 PM »
Thanks Bob,  where is the correct position for the orange strip on the Shelby?s?
Bottom leaf cross ways placed on the rear facing half.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 04:56:53 PM »
There are dozens of different springs for various option combinations.

A 1968 Shelby would only have single stripe either brown or orange.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 07:14:25 PM »
Has anyone created a good list of all the different paint markings for leaf springs?  I am some Eaton springs I am trying to make look close to original.

Since you haven't included your cars information (when or where it was built) guessing this is an eastern built convertible. I don't have any examples of a C7AZ-AA rear spring to show the original markings but maybe you you provide the details of your car we may be able to find a match. Checked the -AA springs in 67 and don't see any examples of that suffix. Are the markings crisp and clear?

I have seen stripes applied anywhere from near the end of the spring all the way up near the center.  Did this vary by year, plant or the person applying the paint?

You likely saw "restored" cars where the markings were copied from cars from other plants and years. Unfortunately it happens all the time and others just copy the misinformation and the circle continues

My car is a C code.  How many different springs did they use in 68. I know they adjusted the front springs for engine, A/C and other options.  Did they do the same for the rear?

As mentioned there were likely more than a dozen and yes which spring was used depended on the application that considered, body type, drivetrain and options

I have seen pics of a 68 Shelby with a Pink and Orange stripe.  I have seen other descriptions of 68s with a single silver stripe.  Any guesses what mine originally were?

Again - betting those car cars where the springs had been replaced or someone copied the wrong information

As far as the marking location  the vast majority of the springs were marked on the short leaf behind the rearend and the stampings  while late 68 built cars can be found marked as they were for 69 out on the longest leaf just before the shackle point
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 07:18:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Flade

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 07:31:28 PM »
Thanks, this helps a lot.   While researching, I saw a lot of pics for 69 with the stripe(s) right up by the shackle.  I found surprisingly few of 68 cars.