Author Topic: Steering wheel center emblem trim  (Read 651 times)

Offline Flade

Steering wheel center emblem trim
« on: April 03, 2022, 01:54:50 PM »
While recently discussing the repro center trim for the 68 steering wheel with some other 68 owners it was noted that original trim appears to be Argent, while the repro parts are chrome.  Has this been previously discussed/ researched.   I looked closely at the parts I have and it does seem to be originally argent, although that could just be a result of the original plastic chrome covering degrading.

I compared two original pieces. One from my original red standard wheel and one from a low mileage turquoise deluxe wheel

The one from the red wheel had all the color rubbed away around edge of the bezel, but the front and back looked to be chrome,

The Deluxe wheel looks more argent, around the edge and front, with the back looking unfinished

Looking at the circular inserts they also look like they may have been argent.   So what is the correct finish?
I?ll post pics as soon as I figure out how!

68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline ruppstang

Re: Steering wheel center emblem trim
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 09:27:41 PM »
I have found both chrome and argent on the pad base. The cups have always been argent. I am not sure if there was a changeover but would expect the argent on the latter cars.

Offline stangfan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 01:01:04 PM »
When I restored my pad, I found that the centre emblem was only available in argent, but the rest of the buttons could only be found in chrome trim.  I used both and it actually looks pretty good.  I have no idea what the original buttons were finished in, but I suspect that they were all argent.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 07:07:35 PM »
My 68 CJ (4/29/68) center emblem is argent and so are all the others.

Offline Flade

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 02:08:34 AM »
I suspect they were all argent originally, but the repro companies either incorrectly assumed they should be chrome, or it was cheaper to use chrome.  Both the cups and backing plate I just bought are chrome.  They actually look really good. I did find that the standard rubber colored insert fit in the back8ng plate fine, but the deluxe woodgrain insert didn?t fit in the corners. It appears the corners are rounded just a tad. I tweaked the insert just a bit and got them to fit.  I am going to experiment with my original backing plate and repaint it argent.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »
I suspect they were all argent originally, but the repro companies either incorrectly assumed they should be chrome, or it was cheaper to use chrome.  Both the cups and backing plate I just bought are chrome.  They actually look really good. I did find that the standard rubber colored insert fit in the back8ng plate fine, but the deluxe woodgrain insert didn?t fit in the corners. It appears the corners are rounded just a tad. I tweaked the insert just a bit and got them to fit.  I am going to experiment with my original backing plate and repaint it argent.

You are correct that they were argent, that is because Ford was trying to eliminate any part that could cause glare. They changed the wiper arms, convertible header, horn ring and steering wheel pad base/ cups all to argent. I do occasionally find a chrome finish steering wheel pad base and it carries the same part number as the argent ones. It could have been a change over, a supplier problem or a strike issue. I do not know, I would not deduct for either finish on the steering wheel pad base plate.     

Note that the reproduction steering wheel pad base plates do not have the slots for the metal wood grain tabs. That is a real pain.

Offline Flade

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 01:38:02 AM »
The repro base i just bought from NPD does have the slots for the deluxe insert. As I noted the metal insert didn?t fit in the corners, but with a little tweaking I got it in.  The tabs fit perfect.  Bent them down and it looks great.  At some poitnI might repaint the original argent and switch to it since I have a late 68 car.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 01:41:21 AM by Flade »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 09:27:46 AM »
They must have updated the reproduction, that is good.

Offline Flade

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 02:05:53 PM »
Agreed, if they would cut the interior corners a little more square so the deluxe emblem fit they would be an excellent piece.