Author Topic: Standard Door Chrome Trim  (Read 399 times)

Offline dkknab

Standard Door Chrome Trim
« on: April 06, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »
I lost some points at the MCA show this past weekend because I do not have the chrome door trim on my standard doors. Best I can tell from unrestored car pictures on a 68 it is the thin trim piece that goes all the way around the outside of the door trim insert. Mine is not chrome; it is plastic looking as is seen in the attached pictures of each door. Can I get the chrome piece that fits over the installed trim? If not could I paint the trim piece chrome or silver colored?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline stangfan

Re: Standard Door Chrome Trim
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 03:56:12 PM »
Yours is what happens over the years when the chrome peels off the trim.   I don't believe there is any fix other than new door panels.  I replaced mine with TMI, which is I believe, the best ones available.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
You can reapply the chrome looking outer layer. Very time consuming and it will not be perfect when looked at closely. There is a product modelers use that is a adhesive film they use to cover over plastic parts such as bumpers for cars. Can be purchased in rolls or sheets - or at least it was when I last purchased the stuff. Stuff is very thin and can be molded, within reason to different shapes and curves with a little effort and light/careful warming like the film wrap used for autos.

Like many tasks in a restoration sometimes its worth the effort and time other times it may not be. Depends on you, the project goal and other details
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 04:05:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »
Thank you for the info.  What about paint? It would seem to me that a thin layer of chrome/silver paint in the groove would be relatively easy.  Does that work?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
Thank you for the info.  What about paint? It would seem to me that a thin layer of chrome/silver paint in the groove would be relatively easy.  Does that work?

Paint IMHO will look like paint and not reflective like chrome. The paint that reproduces chrome takes a spray process and multiple layers to achieve the "look"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)