Author Topic: 1966 Mustang fastback, repo back glass fitment , have install problems  (Read 388 times)

Offline bobboss351

need some help ,
  I have 2 Shelby's in my shop, both are  66  fastback cars .  customer suppled  2 sets of date coded glass for both cars, there from a supplier I have used a lot, the cars have original quarter panels and roof panels and the transition panel between the back glass,,,, The problem is  it seems the aftermarket glass is about 3/8 inch wider than the original  back glass.   I did find  a original back glass  from a  local mustang guy,,,, The supplier as i said I have used and have a relationship with and they order these back glass 70 pieces at a time,,, no one had a concern reported to them about install concerns, i had my son run the glass back to them as there located here in Minnesota , along with the original and they are agreement with me that the new glass is not the same size,,,,, both cars are very close to the same opening size and flanges,,,,,
   so am I  installing it wrong ?
  Normal i start at the bottom of the glass and pull the cord over the lip, work my way up ,, i have installed probably 25 back glass ,  67 68 69 70 71,,, this is the first 66 glass , so am i doing it wrong,
  during the install ,  if I go up one side to the top and then go over to the other side , The glass and the rubber seal has climbed the flange and is against the quarter panel flange, were the trim clip ,clips into the pin ,,,, i have tryed this about 3 to 4 times and get the same result, any ideas,,,,
 Should i start at the top were the glass is widest and go to the bottom?
  appericate any help,,,, or recommendations of were to get another piece of glass,,,, Bob
Modify message

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 Mustang fastback, repo back glass fitment , have install problems
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 03:54:54 PM »
I think a guy on the SAAC forum described the exact same issue.  I know Marcus had a rear glass problem on a 67/8 fastback, taller in the middle than the ends.

Seems like there is a serious quality issue going on with new rear glass.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
Measure the window in its center  (the height front to rear, if you will) and I can compare it against a stock one I have laying about.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:23:35 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bobboss351

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 05:29:33 PM »

Thank you Charles and Bill , i did have some one send me the link and that is the exact problem,,,, as was posted by a guy in june of 21,,
 im not sure  , think i will have to used glass ,,,,