Author Topic: Parking brake bracket  (Read 693 times)

Offline k-code

Parking brake bracket
« on: January 25, 2022, 08:25:06 PM »
Wonder if someone can help me here. This bracket is mounted passenger side, aft of front leaf spring mount, where the parking brake cable crosses over the frame before attaching to the backing plates. My car is missing the driver side so went to order the matching bracket and can't find the part. Osborn assembly manual doesn't show it either.
Also wondering what the lone bolt is for? On the driver side I only have the lone bolt, no evidence of a bolt hole for this bracket either, so something is off.
Thanks
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Parking brake bracket
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 11:46:38 PM »
That bolt held a strap that held the Ebrake cable out of the way during the cars assembly

Been covered a couple of times in other threads such as

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21056.msg132390#msg132390

and can be seen in a few of the unrestored picture threads

Like Oct 64 San Jose C Code Fastback - Unrestored Picture Thread
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 11:50:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline k-code

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 01:14:52 AM »
That bolt held a strap that held the Ebrake cable out of the way during the cars assembly

Thanks for this Jeff. Not sure how I was searching before, but couldn't find it here, or at NPD. Tried again and the bracket popped right up on NPD's site. They look a bit different than mine however so maybe there was a change somewhere along the way. My bracket doesn't have the slot to hold the cable.
And my driver side is missing the mounting hole for some reason.
Andy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 02:10:30 AM »
Sorry though you were referring to the bolt with apparently no purpose. The brackets (both inners and outers) are covered in the link so

Inners have the slot while outers are rounded at the end

Bottom line happy that you found what you were looking for

Won't merge the two threads since that one is a running change discussion
Jeff Speegle

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 04:06:34 AM »
Sorry though you were referring to the bolt with apparently no purpose. The brackets (both inners and outers) are covered in the link so

Inners have the slot while outers are rounded at the end

No worries, my initial post was a bit confusing as I was asking two questions.

The bracket I'm looking for is the outer with the rounded end, as I only have one on my passenger side...there is nothing on the drivers side, not even a mounting hole,. I realise now the bracket I found on NPD have the slot, so are the inner ones, which I have.
I can't imagine there was only one outer bracket installed? I'll check NPD again. My Osborn assembly manual does not show them at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:15:21 AM by k-code »
Andy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 05:48:09 AM »
Yes on a car with the e-brake routed between the floor and the frame would have all four. Is it possible someone has repaired or replaced one of the frame rails in the cars past?  Something to check out
Jeff Speegle

Offline k-code

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
I had thought of that but there is no evidence. My car has original undercoating (factory or selling dealer, not sure) and it's all in place in that area, including the mystery bolt we discussed earlier.  If the frame rail was repaired or replaced, I can't imagine someone would replace that obsolete bolt but not the bracket.
It's a puzzle, as so many of these archaeological digs are.
I'll poke around some more today but I can't see anything yet.
Do you know where I can find the brackets? NDP and CJ only have the inners.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:33:01 PM by k-code »
Andy

Offline k-code

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
I removed the passenger side bracket and obsolete bolt on both sides. Cleared away some of the undercoating to see if the driver side bracket hole had been covered up, and no bolt hole. It appears the factory missed my driver side bracket. It?s a puzzle.
Interesting there are two holes where the obsolete bolt is, one for the bolt and one just below that was partially covered by the washer.
Andy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »
I removed the passenger side bracket and obsolete bolt on both sides. Cleared away some of the undercoating to see if the driver side bracket hole had been covered up, and no bolt hole. It appears the factory missed my driver side bracket. It?s a puzzle.
Interesting there are two holes where the obsolete bolt is, one for the bolt and one just below that was partially covered by the washer.

Wondering why we have two holes one over the top of the other but that is another subject.

Do I have this correct that the upper of your two pictures is the passenger side and the lower is the drivers?

Not sure why the hole for the E-brake cable retainer is not there as I would have expected that these were prepunched. Maybe the supplier screwed up on a batch of them. Can't find a picture of another with a similar VIN but don't have tons to look through

As far as the brackets there are at least a half million cars out there that had them. Should be able to locate one of those - hopefully from a San Jose car located in the south west.

Jeff Speegle

Offline k-code

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
Wondering why we have two holes one over the top of the other but that is another subject.

Do I have this correct that the upper of your two pictures is the passenger side and the lower is the drivers?

Not sure why the hole for the E-brake cable retainer is not there as I would have expected that these were prepunched. Maybe the supplier screwed up on a batch of them. Can't find a picture of another with a similar VIN but don't have tons to look through

As far as the brackets there are at least a half million cars out there that had them. Should be able to locate one of those - hopefully from a San Jose car located in the south west.

Yes, the upper picture is the passenger side. I removed the bracket, and bolts, in order to take the picture. I didn't notice the extra hole on each side until I had removed the redundant bolts. The washer just barely covered the holes.
It's a bit difficult for me to access south west junk yards given I am in British Columbia. No old Mustangs around in our junkyards up here anymore. It looks easy enough to fab up however.
I spoke to NPD and another supplier up here this morning and both said those brackets are not being reproduced as far as they know. 
Andy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:09:07 PM »
Here are two examples from Dearborn around the same production period as your car Upper left 5F34xxxx and Lower right 5F36xxxx

Hard to tell but the lower right example may not have the second hole for the strap like yours. Though it doesn't help with the double hole thing for the bracket

As for the arm/bracket try posting an wanted ad here and on VMF and check Ebay. Likely a few laying around in peoples misc parts boxes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:11:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline k-code

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 10:17:57 PM »
Thanks for your help Jeff.
A bit of a mystery why I have two holes on each side where the strap was, or why I?m missing the bracket and hole on the drivers side.
I removed some more undercoating today and found the ivy green overspray on the frame rails, so definitely original frame rails. Seeing how easy I stripped it off with a wire wheel attachment on my angle grinder made me decide to remove it all, so there was a unintended bonus to this research project.
The undercoating saved the car from rust, but it ain?t pretty!
Andy