Author Topic: Underdash support brace from clutch pedal support to lower dash- on all cars?  (Read 475 times)

Offline rustang

I was pulling parts off a 66 c code convertible and noticed a tube brace that's maybe just over a half inch round that ran from the firewall end of the clutch pedal support to under the metal dash towards the glove box.  I have a 66 A code standard trans car and cant remember seeing a similar brace.  Were the braces a convertible thing? Something on standard transmission cars and not automatics?  If anyone could refresh my memory on when its used I'd appreciate it.

Offline 196667Bob

Yes, Convertible only. See copy attached from 1966 Body Assembly Manual.

My 67 Convertible also has one.

Hope this helps.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline rustang

Thanks very much. Its great having a site like this where everyone can help each other and document the nuances (for people like me who forget them after 25 years!)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
The brace was introduced into production in Fall of '64.  It also included the long tube braces in the engine bay which were different between 65 and 66.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Nov 11 1964 is the date Ford said was the date of the change/addition in a TSB rather than a MPC or other resource. This took place (according to Ford) at the same time the change of the tubular reinforcements in the engine compartment

It's listed under the Running Changes sticky in the 65 section #EC6 & #I18

Thread on the subject

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2250.msg11509#msg11509
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)