Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - Upper Clutch Spring Anchor Bracket Hole/Slot  (Read 1150 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Though it had been discussed in earlier threads the subject came up in a recent thread where members were trying help a new member determine if his car  was originally n automatic or manual transmission car.

The slot is a vertical hole through the firewall directly below the master cylinder where on manual transmission cars a bracket was inserted from the interior side. On earlier cars no slot was present and there was only a spring on the lower end of the clutch equalizer arm.  With the change, on manual cars, a new equalizer design with a hole for the upper spring and the new spring (painted black) was installed also. On automatic equipped cars a simple rubber oval plug was installed from the engine compartment side except on a handful of cars built right after the introduction of the new firewall design

Early firewalls without slot for bracket

++++++++++++++++AFTER CHANGE +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the lowest VIN's with the slot (lower than others without the slot) with black friction tape over the hole 

Should be mentioned that the early versions of the MPC note that the change took place on 2/14/66 and the survey does match the general time period though we can't be certain that all earlier firewalls were removed from the plant and the inventory was not used up past that date.

Slightly later example with the typically found oval plug when the hole was not needed for the transmission ordered (automatic)

Example of the later version with the slot and with the bracket installed and in use

Jim posted pictures of the bracket as well as measurements in the thread below
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23641.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:48:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Should be mentioned that the early versions of the MPC note that the change took place on 2/14/66 and the survey does match the general time period though we can't be certain that all earlier firewalls were removed from the plant and the inventory was not used up past that date.  Wrapping this one up with the most recent findings.

- Earliest (Lowest VIN) example with the hole 6R1639xx  Early enough to not have the rubber plug for the hole used

- Latest (highest VIN) example without the hole 6R1789xx

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:51:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Although unrelated to the bracket survey ,the spring in the last picture appears to be a replacement. The assemblyline spring had large diameter coils and fewer coil count. I think Brant at virginia may still have some nice repros that he bought from a local to me. I just didn't want someone copying that portion just because it was in the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

Re: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - Upper Clutch Spring Anchor Bracket Hole/Slot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 12:37:36 AM »
So where can I find the correct oval rubber plug?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 05:27:58 AM »
So where can I find the correct oval rubber plug?

Good question - never tired to find one. At least most of the Mustangs built during that period and after in 66 would possibility of providing an original in usable condition. Sure someone will dig out the official part number
Jeff Speegle

Offline hertz350

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
Maybe a brake adjusting rubber plug will work? I will try that.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Maybe a brake adjusting rubber plug will work? I will try that.
The brake backing plate hole that the rubber plug goes in you are suggesting trying is much larger then the opening for the spring eyelet bracket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby