Author Topic: 1970 Tie Rod paint daubs/ marks  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Tie Rod paint daubs/ marks
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
So in conclusion best in my case to just leave them blank.  Been a good discussion and appreciate all the input!
   ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
Look at the process - the forging and machining processes for the individual parts used oil to reduce friction, it's a common process technique. The individual components are sub-assembled and I doubt they were cleaned to remove the oil (maybe drip dry), plus any remaining oil was also a rust inhibitor. Somewhere, after receiving or pre/post quality inspection, the paint dab was applied for identification. It was applied to an oily surface. The dab was useful for assembly line purposes, so if it came off around the time the finished car was loaded on a truck or train, nobody cared. The paint dab would not be on a service assembly.
As Bob Gaines said, leave it off.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
So in conclusion best in my case to just leave them blank............

Yes and the good thing about leaving some marks off if your not really certain is that you can almost always add them later and in the meantime not mislead anyone else that might view them.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Look at the process - the forging and machining processes for the individual parts used oil to reduce friction, it's a common process technique. The individual components are sub-assembled and I doubt they were cleaned to remove the oil (maybe drip dry), plus any remaining oil was also a rust inhibitor. Somewhere, after receiving or pre/post quality inspection, the paint dab was applied for identification. It was applied to an oily surface. The dab was useful for assembly line purposes, so if it came off around the time the finished car was loaded on a truck or train, nobody cared. The paint dab would not be on a service assembly.
As Bob Gaines said, leave it off.
Jim

Jim, Original period date code correct service parts are assembly line parts put in box's. No different than what came on the car originally including paint daub. A 1965 tie rod  made in 1995 will not not have a paint daub, but you might get a grease fitting. ;)  Granted original suspension parts in period correct box's are rare today but were still plentiful in early 80's. It's a mistake to think all service parts were different than assembly line parts.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »
Original period date code correct service parts are assembly line parts put in box's. No different than what came on the car originally including paint daub. A 1965 tie rod  made in 1995 will not not have a paint daub, but you might get a grease fitting. ;)  Granted original suspension parts in period correct box's are rare today but were still plentiful in early 80's. It's a mistake to think all service parts were different than assembly line parts.
Are you sure? As seen in the 75 edition of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC, sec 30 pg 12 and 19), the tie rod ends were sold and serviced individually under Ford base number 3A130 (and 3A131). The center section was sold and serviced under Ford base number 3310, and for 1967 thru 1972 as a single service number, C2AA-3310-A, for all Mustangs (1965 and 66 used it for certain situations). Per the 1970 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual (AM0035 pgs 73 and 74), the assembly line got a sub-assembly under Ford base numbers 3A035 (RH) and 3B161 (LH) which were identified by a paint dab. Neither sub-assembly number are listed in the 75 MPC.
Reading is good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »
Jim, examples of paint codes on NOS service parts. As you can see by photos NOS tie rods were not rare in the 80's. The 2 NOS tie rods with the boxes are 67-68 Mustang and 1969 Boss 429. The 75 edition of the MPC is pretty much worthless for identifying assembly line parts.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 12:44:17 AM »
Jim, examples of paint codes on NOS service parts. As you can see by photos NOS tie rods were not rare in the 80's. The 2 NOS tie rods with the boxes are 67-68 Mustang and 1969 Boss 429. The 75 edition of the MPC is pretty much worthless for identifying assembly line parts.
The topic was 1970, yet you show earlier parts. You have pictures of the individual tie rod ends, and the center sleeve, but no complete sub-assembly like was was supplied to the assembly line - two tie rod ends and an adjustment sleeve with clamps and hardware. They were identified with Ford base number 3A035 and 3B161. I guess that they do not exist as service items, and confirmed with the 60-68 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC). Another aspect of this is that the Chassis Assembly Manual specifies one tie rod end only of the sub-assembly to be identified with paint. Your samples indicate that they were marked, but there should be an equal number unmarked.
The 75 MPC may be worthless now, but for several years into the 1980s, it seemed to keep customers happy.
Jim

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »
It's possible then that the left over assemblies could have been taken apart and put into individual boxes for the inner and outer tie rods and the adjusting sleeve? Then there would be outer tie rods with either yellow or green dabs, despite them being identical service parts in identically marked boxes. Or blue, if someone forgot to add some yellow to the paint before dabbing it. ;D Bob's picture of the 70 tie rod with green paint on it could be an example of this. And the inner tie rods, despite being different from the outers, would have no markings.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:41:44 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2021, 11:46:42 AM »
Jim, You stated a daub would not be on service suspension parts. I provided pictures of a 65-66 Power steering kit with several paint ID codes , a NOS 1967 service outer tie rod with paint ID and a D0DZ-3A130-A with paint code. I mistakenly assumed you knew 1969 Boss Mustangs with F60 tires used the 1970 big suspension. I also showed a shelf full of tie rods from 65-71. I have documented period NOS Ford Service suspension parts from 1965-1971 had the paint ID daubs!

It seems when you stick your foot in mouth as you often do you change the subject? I never referred to complete assembly line sub assemblies from Ford Parts and Service.
In the front of your 75 MPC I believe there is section that will decode the decade and year for Ford part numbers.