Author Topic: 68 390 GT alternator belt /bracket dilemma  (Read 1859 times)

Offline duffman

68 390 GT alternator belt /bracket dilemma
« on: August 20, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
I just purchased the correct water pump & crank pulleys & belts from Bill @ Mansfield Restoration.  Great guy and very knowledgeable.
The Alt belts  C6AE-8620-L are too short to fit. As it seems that a lot on this car was swapped or replaced, I can only assume either the bracket is
incorrect, or Alt is incorrectly installed. I checked the unrestored and the red 68 has no pics from the pass side.   
Any guidance would be appreciated.   So close.....
Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 390 GT alternator belt /bracket dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 03:40:18 PM »
I just purchased the correct water pump & crank pulleys & belts from Bill @ Mansfield Restoration.  Great guy and very knowledgeable.
The Alt belts  C6AE-8620-L are too short to fit. As it seems that a lot on this car was swapped or replaced, I can only assume either the bracket is
incorrect, or Alt is incorrectly installed. I checked the unrestored and the red 68 has no pics from the pass side.   
Any guidance would be appreciated.   So close.....
Is your car supposed to have thermactor ? Does it matter or not to you if it is correct looking in that capacity ? The reason for the question is because you have a Alternator bracket used to mount the alternator in the higher non thermactor location .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline duffman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 05:29:25 PM »
Bob,

Car had a Thermator at one time. My goal is to get it correct.  Will go for Thermactor after everything else is taken care of.
Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 05:43:12 PM »
Bob,

Car had a Thermator at one time. My goal is to get it correct.  Will go for Thermactor after everything else is taken care of.
If that is the case then both of your alternator brackets are wrong. The adjustment bracket you need is marked C8AE-10145-B . The mounting bracket you need is C8AE-10156-B . These are the same as used on the cobra jet engines. Although not correct for your application you can make the ones you have work but will have to get different belts. Most likely the repro belts you have now that are too short will work with the correct brackets and proper indexed alternator . The correct brackets will allow you to mount your alternator in the correct position .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 05:45:39 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline duffman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 09:22:07 AM »
Bob,  thank you for supplying the correct part numbers.  I have already purchased the date coded correct belts, and the hunt continues.....
Really appreciate your time and expertise.
Chris