Author Topic: Console Colors  (Read 3166 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Console Colors
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »
What determines what color the console is?  For instance on interior code 28, I've seen both light ivy gold consoles that match the kick panels and door panels and I've seen the dark green that matches the dash and the metal on the door.  On deluxe interiors with white, I've always seen it white....
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Console Colors
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
The console color would most closely match the color that the metal part of the dash panel is painted.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Is it safe to assume that most consoles were painted to match, rather than the color they were were molded from?
My console was painted a lighter blue than the medium blue it should've been, but the plastic when looking underneath is more dark blue... I'm probably leaning toward painting it to match the dash anyways but like to know what the factory did...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:07 PM »
Ahh...For some reason though, that dark green console on a light colored carpet just does not look good...At least in that interior ;)
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
Is it safe to assume that most consoles were painted to match, rather than the color they were were molded from?
No. Factory installed consoles were injected molded with the correct color plastic.
My console was painted a lighter blue than the medium blue it should've been, but the plastic when looking underneath is more dark blue... I'm probably leaning toward painting it to match the dash anyways but like to know what the factory did...
I'm setting up a full length Aqua (color 27) console for a friend's 66 Hardtop and we were both surprised on how close the color is to the existing interior. The console is dirty and has a couple of small holes in the glove box (previous radio installed?) that need to be filled so it will be painted, color match tested first.
I searched for a couple of years to get a white console in good condition. So hang in there Dom.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »

Nope originals were not painted at the factory - used as is in the molded color.

Sun can do allot of damage fading the original color over the years. Not an unusual result
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
Sun can do allot of damage fading the original color over the years. Not an unusual result

Yep....  Red ones turn dark red or pink, blue ones turn green and white ones turn yellowish.

Offline threeohtwo

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 11:18:00 PM »
I have a question about the color of the metal inserts in the console.  What color is the side that is not chrome?  I bought repo and they are black.  The console that came out prior to restoration was painted the color of the exterior of the car (X Vintage Burgundy). Any ideas?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »
I have a question about the color of the metal inserts in the console.  What color is the side that is not chrome?  I bought repo and they are black.  The console that came out prior to restoration was painted the color of the exterior of the car (X Vintage Burgundy). Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum. What year Mustang are you concerned with? The backside of my 64-66 console inserts are a dull aluminum. I can't answer for other years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »
First welcome to the site Hope you find the support and information helpful

You'll find that by adding your cars information to your signature we won't have to ask you what car your own, where it was built and when.

Guess that you have a 65 Mustang since this thread is located in that section - so we'll start with that assumption. Can we confirm that you don't have a car with a deluxe interior and a factory installed console. All of these question are asked for a reason

Finish of the visible side of the main plate & shifter bezel is the same for either version

Finish and paint on the outer section of the main plate, shifter bezel and the grained section of the ash tray differs between the two versions. As usual all pictures are of unrestored cars so they can/do show some wear and age

Deluxe/Pony

Standard

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:09:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline threeohtwo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
I have a 64.5 convertible.  Color is x for Vintage Burgundy Interior is black.  I purchased in 1997 with console installed.  The chrome plates had been painted with burgundy, not camera case black.  I have scraped a little off and do not find black underneath and no black on the overspray at the end of the pieces.  I have never seen anything other than black or woodgrain.  Could the color of the body on the console plates be correct?  From the factory?  Or perhaps done that way by dealer installing the console?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »
Could the color of the body on the console plates be correct?  From the factory?  Or perhaps done that way by dealer installing the console?

No, definitely not.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 05:42:33 PM »

No, definitely not.

+1 No way that being factory on a RPO
Jeff Speegle