Author Topic: Air Cleaner help  (Read 750 times)

Offline RichandBen

Air Cleaner help
« on: June 15, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
Hi all, thanks to a post in this section from December 2013 I have been able to confirm that the air cleaner body that came with my recently-bought Dearborn convertible with a 289, 2100 carburettor and Thermactor system is not the correct part, as it doesn?t have a connection at the back for the anti-backfire valve hose. I have two other segments for the air cleaner that I must question because of the incorrect body, these being the snorkel and a trunk that appears to fit between the RH exhaust manifold and the snorkel. The snorkel has half of a piano hinge inside it, that I assume is for some sort of flapper to block the snorkel air inlet and draw warm air from around the exhaust manifold. Were these items an option for 1966 cars, in other words, should I be retaining these for when I get a correct air cleaner body, or do they belong properly with the incorrect body?

The other thing about the body is that it interferes with the oil filler cap, which could not be removed if I were to fit the body. The cap is a push-on type, onto a tube extending from the top of the LH valve cover and has a hose to connect it to the front of the air cleaner body. I am confident that the original engine is in the car, so do I have an incorrect filler cap as well, do I need to be careful to buy a smaller-diameter cleaner body than the one I have now, or will I end up with the correct-diameter body that properly clears the filler cap just by making sure that it?s for a Thermactor-equipped car?

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:54:21 AM by RichandBen »
March/early April (11 April delivery) 6F08C with Thermactor and three-speed manual transmission, Ivy Green

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Air Cleaner help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:07:26 PM »
the flapper was present on all air cleaners except the chrome hi-po unit. show us a pic of the interference & then a determination can be made.
5F09C331248

Offline RichandBen

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
As I said, it is the wrong cleaner body for the car because it doesn?t have a fitting for the anti-backfire valve hose at the back. I have since done some ferreting and looked at the Dynacorn and Scott Drake cleaner snorkels and heat shrouds; they look very different to the ones I have:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/air-cleaner-original-style-with-california-emissions-mustang-v8-1965-1967/p/AC12/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-air-cleaner-heat-shroud-and-tube-mustang-260-289-1965-1967/p/M3558/

http://mustangparts.averagejoerestoration.com/mustang-air-cleaner-260289-stock-air-cleaner-assembly-c5zz-9600-y

Attached is a pic of the heat shroud that came with my car, which I can?t even easily do a trial fitment with because I cannot manoeuvre it into where it needs to go without removing the Thermactor air pump and filter; this being another thing that makes me think it?s wrong for my car. I don?t have a photo of the snorkel handy to show you,  it it just has a circular flange on the underside to mate with the shroud, which would come vertically upwards from the manifold to the snorkel if it was all installed.

I have no experience yet with all of these new parts that are available from CJ, NPD and the like; in general, can I rely on them being accurate (or close-to) reproductions if they are described as such?

March/early April (11 April delivery) 6F08C with Thermactor and three-speed manual transmission, Ivy Green

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
RichardandBen

just to advise so you get a quick reply.
the pictures provided is not correct for any 66 mustang. not sure what application your one is but it aint correct for you car.

if your looking for a correct set up drop me a pm with your contact details as i have a correct 66 convertible set up for sale.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE
AUSTRALIA.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:41:16 PM by outlawincorporated »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline RichandBen

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »
PM sent; thanks