Author Topic: Fuel sending unit for 22 gal tank  (Read 680 times)

Offline Angela

Fuel sending unit for 22 gal tank
« on: June 12, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »
I have not been able to locate an original 1970 fuel sending unit which I can afford.  My original sending unit (which I removed from what I believe is the original fuel tank based on the tank date stamp) is stamped D0WF-9275-A but sadly only 50% of the fuel hose elbow remains, due to rust between the steel nipple and the rubber hose. Amazingly the rest of the part looks great.

So, I bought an "improved repro" from NPD for 1970 22gal application.

However, with the fuel tank on my workbench, I installed the repro sending unit into the tank and looked inside the tank through the filler neck opening. I noticed that the pickup tube is 2-3 inches above the "bump out" feature stamped into the fuel tank. It looks like there would be ~5 gallons of fuel in the tank which could not be drawn into the fuel sender.

I then reinstalled the original sending unit into the tank and looked inside the tank through the filler neck opening. I then see the pickup tube within a half inch or less of the same spot at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Looking at the original and the repro sending units side by side on my workbench, I don't notice the pickup tubes bent at different angles. The only major difference I note is that the original pickup tube is approx 3/4" longer than the repro. I recognize there's a discrepancy between this 3/4" length delta and the 2-3" delta I observe when looking inside the tank as described above.

My question is what are others using for sending units in the 22 gal tanks? Are all of the repro sending units too short for use in the 22 gal tanks? I do not want to spend $375 on a used original sending unit.

Note/warning: there is a seller on ebay right now who lists an original D0WF-9275-A for $250. One of the photos shows a sticker partially covering the PN stamping. However, I contacted the seller and after waiting a week for a response, I was told "there isn't anything stamped into the metal.".

Offline RoyceP

Re: Fuel sending unit for 22 gal tank
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:10:19 AM »
Send the repo and the original to Bill Basore. He can make a good working unit for you and it will be calibrated perfectly.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.basore
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:50:23 PM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock