Author Topic: 68 Brake Booster Differences  (Read 576 times)

Offline Colorado56

68 Brake Booster Differences
« on: June 01, 2021, 01:02:56 PM »
After reading a wanted post from TLea on a Bendix 68 version of the clamp style booster, I wondered how many other versions there were. What application was the 68 clamp style (midland) Bendix booster used for?  All the originals I have owned had no markings except for the tag attached at the band screw. The NOS units that I have had over the years were the updated red dot version and most had the Ford script etched on the case. While on the subject are there any differences on the check valve?

Offline RoyceP

Re: 68 Brake Booster Differences
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »

The Bendix booster was not available in 1968. It was a mid model year 1969 addition. They can be used on a 1968 but my preference is the Midland type for best braking performance.

The Midland boosters have no "Ford" script on the assembly line versions. Replacement versions have the "Ford" script on them.

There are also some versions that have the vacuum port offset towards the engine. I don't know what the origin is of those Midland boosters but maybe someone here will?

After reading a wanted post from TLea on a Bendix 68 version of the clamp style booster, I wondered how many other versions there were. What application was the 68 clamp style (midland) Bendix booster used for?  All the originals I have owned had no markings except for the tag attached at the band screw. The NOS units that I have had over the years were the updated red dot version and most had the Ford script etched on the case. While on the subject are there any differences on the check valve?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Check valves did differ between Bendix and Midland also from year to year for some applications
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »
To also add- There were different after market versions of the check valve of ether the Midland or Bendix . The shapes and manufacturing details can be different between the factory and aftermarket check valves regardless of if Midland or Bendix .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby