Author Topic: 66 GT Grill  (Read 787 times)

Offline mmus65tang

66 GT Grill
« on: May 08, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »
I have a NOS Service replacement 1966 Grill for my restoration of my 1966 fastback GT, August 12th, Dearborn built mustang. From the forum I know that the silver painted tips of the grill fins need to be painted all semi-gloss black. But my question is how about the back of the grill. The NOS part is not painted. Pictures of other grills I have found on the forum seem to suggest that the back should be painted semi-gloss black also. Is this correct?  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:59:57 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline mmus65tang

Re: 66 GT Grill
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:54:19 PM »
Well this must not be an area where concourse judging looks at. I will have to assume that most likely when restorers are repainting their NOS 66 grills to eliminate the silver horizontal paint on the edges of the fins for their GT cars, that they are repainting the entire grill front and back in semi-gloss black. So, without any other information to go on this is the way I will proceed.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 01:05:21 AM »
Keep in mind service replacement were made many years after the same parts were no longer being installed at the assembly plant.  Manufacturing continues on worn out tooling, suppliers change, which can create variations.  With the '66 grille, you're seeing one of those service variations.  There are original cars that have a light coating of paint on the back, but usually it's at least a light to medium coating, with shadows in certain areas.

Another detail to look out for on those grilles is the rivet style.  There were some produced with open rivets, like a pop rivet.  Originals should be closed/domed on the top.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:28:58 AM »
Thanks very much Charles that helps.